American Elm direction

tnaz71

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I have 2 directions in my head. I could leave it taller to keep the majority of the tree intact carve the top make it sorta informal upright or, cut it low & choose a leader to get some taper & make it a shorter tree.

Here are a few pictures if anyone has any ideas on what direction I should take I would appreciate it. I cut it back pretty hard this winter trying to get it to back bud to help me decide on a direction.

Thanks all for the assistance

Attachments

• IMAG0618.jpg
    IMAG0618.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 248
  • IMAG0619.jpg
    IMAG0619.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 231
  • IMAG0620.jpg
    IMAG0620.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 214
  • IMAG0622.jpg
    IMAG0622.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has answered.

If it were mine, I would carve/ hollow out the dead part of the trunk and try to make a nice hollow trunk old looking tree.

Then again, you could layer it just below the where the dead part starts and have a hollow trunk tree and a short one to play with.

Good luck with it in any case.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Since it has a powerful trunk, I would cut it back and try to develop a classic, deliquescent elm profile.

tnaz71

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys for the input. I tried to air layer a few branches last year to see how well it takes to air layering. I got one to take other just grew back together even though I cut a good 1" out of the bark & even cut into the wood a bit. I figured I could try to do the trunk this year & hopefully have 2 to work with next year. Plant the bottom in the ground for a few years & develop the taper. But then on the other hand I saw a really cool looking one a while back that was hollowed out & carved that I could emulate.

Anyways thanks again for the input. I have only been debating on what to do with this tree for the last 12yrs haha whats a few more.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
is that bug damage on the bark or is thats just the way the bark look?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have to admit - I am following this thread but can't offer much advice. I grew up with American Elms in my yard, but I have none at present - I don't even know how they'd do in Southern California without a winter. I DO recall they had big leaves - on mature trees the leaves were easily 6" in length. I had an American Elm in my front lawn that was huge, with a weeping growth habit, and I had to walk around in the summer and cut branches that would weep down to the yard - when the branch itself started 30' or so up in the tree.

The bark looks different to me than what I was expecting. I don't recall the long fissures with the brown in them. I think they look very striking. Then again, it HAS been a long time... maybe I just forgot them.

tnaz71

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry I disappeared for a while.

The parent tree was growing in my backyard when I was a kid, It was a huge tree! It mysteriously started dying. From what I remember (I was around 11yrs old) the people who came out to remove it said it was a American elm that had dutch elm disease. They just cut the tree down to about a 1ft stump & left it. About a year later this little tree started growing right next to the stump. I do remember the parent tree having very fissured dark bark almost pine tree type of bark. I will have to go though some old pictures because I know I have a few with that tree in it.

I uploaded a few pictures of the leaves. The big leaf is about 2-3" but the others I would say under 1/2" or so. The smaller leaf is the normal for this tree. I cut it back a few months back & it just blew up with growth so the leaves have gotten quite large.

I never looked it up to make sure what it really was I always assumed it was a American elm.

Attachments

• IMAG0859.jpg
    IMAG0859.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMAG0860.jpg
    IMAG0860.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm going to learn from you. My elms are only about 1 1/2" diameter trunks. The heights are around 7-8'. Leaves are now 1/2" to 1" generally. New wild growth left unchecked gives me a leaf size of about 1 1/4". However I plan to cut back hard next spring (2013) and let the growing process begin all over from scratch. What I've seen so far on mine is that cuts heal fairly quick (not fast...but quickly) and new branches will push out everywhere on a trunk making for lots of choices. I have found that my cut elms seems to produce that one new leader to work with each time and other branches from buds just grow as branches.

tnaz71

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Little update, I still have this tree. I didn't touch it for quite sometime. The top where the tree was cut back started rotting so I removed what was rotted to preserve what was left. It will require a lot more carving in the future. I will get a picture of the whole tree and post, but till then here is a picture of the bark, it has really started getting a lot of character.

Attachments

• 2014-06-30 18.43.44.jpg
    2014-06-30 18.43.44.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 80

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sorry I disappeared for a while.

The parent tree was growing in my backyard when I was a kid, It was a huge tree! It mysteriously started dying. From what I remember (I was around 11yrs old) the people who came out to remove it said it was a American elm that had dutch elm disease. They just cut the tree down to about a 1ft stump & left it. About a year later this little tree started growing right next to the stump. I do remember the parent tree having very fissured dark bark almost pine tree type of bark. I will have to go though some old pictures because I know I have a few with that tree in it.

I uploaded a few pictures of the leaves. The big leaf is about 2-3" but the others I would say under 1/2" or so. The smaller leaf is the normal for this tree. I cut it back a few months back & it just blew up with growth so the leaves have gotten quite large.

I never looked it up to make sure what it really was I always assumed it was a American elm.

If that grew right next to the stump of the Elm tree they removed due to Dutch elm disease, then it probably grew off it's roots. Elms will frequently do that, send shoots up off of roots especially when the parent is cut back hard and the roots are near the soil surface... If that is the case, it is technically the same tree, and I suspect it is likely infected. Hard to tell on a tree of this size and age I guess... How did that top die? Dutch Elm disease is a fungal thing and though the fungus is spread from one tree to another normally by Beatles... I suspect the shared roots give a high probability of shared disease.

Good luck, hope I am wrong, maybe the tree is fine... I would remove the dead wood down tot he next branch, remove the suckers from the base and let the leader grow for a couple years to see what it does. If it stay healthy, you can develop some taper that way, maybe a bit of movement and form your crown from that. If it is happy, like most Elms you will probably get an insane number of new shoots at random locations along the trunk.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I too have an American elm I have been playing with for a few years . Mine has a little different appearance than yours but the leaves are spot on. A few things I have observed.
They are pretty soft wooded if you do not protect the cut site they will soften and rot quickly.
They do heal pretty quickly.
They are easy to set branches and they stay in to position once wired.
I love the exfoliating bark once they get mature. I have a few vids of mine and the development of it to date.

Random User

Reaction score
@tnaz71

Whatever happened with this tree, can we get an update? (FWIW, I don't think that is an elm, but we live a long ways apart and there could be a lot of hybridization (but not within "American Elm" specifically)

Top Bottom