American elm - ideas

marac_k

Seed
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I recently purchased this American elm in this bonsai pot. It is a young tree, only 3 years and 20 cm, but I think it is nice and has a nice structure and branching for such a young tree. Though it came in this bonsai pot all too soon.

I would like to hear your meaning what to do with this tree? I would like to keep it in shohin size but it surely needs further development... Back to bigger, training pot and let it grow big or what? Though I really like the structure of the branches that have been established the trunk is non existing...

Thank you
:)

Attachments

• American elm 1.jpg
    American elm 1.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 43
  • American elm 2.jpg
    American elm 2.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 39

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Welcome to the Nut House!
I think you're on the right path with the training pot. Planting in the ground would be even better for gaining some girth in the trunk.
For now its just a stick and the current branches won't be there if you want a shohin sized tree....they will all be gone at your first trunk chop in a few years.

KleinM

Sapling
Reaction score
It is already a nice long tree so I would just plant it into a training pot and let it grow wild to thicken up. Once everything has thickened up nicely you can decide to chop of to keep it shohin or not

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd see what it does in there.

Welcome to Crazy!

If you want a bigger elm, just go find one!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can´t unfortunately. We don´t have them as native trees here in Denmark...

Ah I see! I was wondering why it was an American Elm!

In that case, take cuttings, make layers, plant seeds, AND throw it in the ground!

Yo should experience growth quite rapidly....so rapidly in fact, a cutting has the chance to overtake this one in certain conditions, so I still vote keep this one potted!

Sorce

Top Bottom