American Elm Question

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I am a very proud papa… My 11-year-old daughter has been helping me out in the garden this season. She said she wanted to start a tree of her own.
A little late in the season but we ended up purchasing young Elm from........ well......EBay.
Tree was inexpensive enough however it arrived in a plastic bag and a couple of wet paper towels… That is it. Tree clearly went through it for a couple of days in the mail.
We put he tree in 40% pumice, 40% lava and 20% Pinebark then in a training pot. I threw a plastic bag over the top of it… Tree has not become any worse to the eye over the past three days but the leaves are extremely wilted... and tips crisp. Tree is in the shade currently.
Did I do the right thing as far as recovery goes?
Lots of new roots.
Thanks!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd be more in the ....
Remove a couple few leaves and leave it in the sun camp.

I think bag usage should end when the seed sprouts. Seems cruel torture, to keep a plant like that. Especially in the sun.

I just feel like....maybe it's more humid...
But more humid and 300'F isn't likely to make the tree live.

How'd this get second paged from yesterday with no replies?

Good on the youngin! Good on you!

Sorce

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Remove a couple few leaves and leave it in the sun camp.
On same page... removed some of the leaves after I posted yesterday.
The tree she wanted is basically a seedling.... think seller said year old? Figured baggin it in the shade may help with water loss. May rest it a few more days then put in dappled sun.

How'd this get second paged from yesterday with no replies?
LOL perhaps I've been too needy lately!!!

Good on the youngin! Good on you!
She's all about it.... didn't see that comin. Going to need a bigger bench cus she's got plans!

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Funny... never occurred to me perhaps an American Elm would be a bad choice for the desert.:oops:
Hope it works out.

Top Bottom