American elm reverse taper near old cut. Other issues: I’ll chop below the long straight piece, maybe further hollow big dead wood at ground level.

LindaPat

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
B7F3272E-9BED-4F88-99C9-3118BBBCB3E5.jpeg87F8B9AB-D08D-4149-A56A-C2719DF7E58B.jpeg8E5CE053-9304-471C-B95C-82E4740BEB2E.jpeg

Attachments

• 42F34A94-2CE3-4A5A-970F-CDA3AC92E3E6.jpeg
    42F34A94-2CE3-4A5A-970F-CDA3AC92E3E6.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 10

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd continue to grow it out much more before chopping. Unless you’re looking for a smaller size tree.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My American Elms respond perfectly well with years of unrestricted growth before chopping back. Once chopped I usually remove 2/3 of the roots and all branches. The trees return with solid new growth for numerous choices. Here’s an American Elm ground grown and chopped. This is the third year after the chop and branch removal. It’s about 4.5” diameter at soil level. The roots are excellent but I keep them buried at this time. There are still branch removals ahead but this is good for now while I think about it.
95E9AA50-D215-473B-8468-49CCB33171D9.jpeg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When I grow the American Elms there are lots of faults while growing. Nature helps smooth things out.

You have an excellent tree start.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Theres a few long straight pieces, not sure which one you mean. I like it as a tall twin trunk, theres where I would go. I'd reduce the two trunks a little.
I was looking at some twin trunks recently, this one is a Beech, I see trees like this in the park all the time. down to tastes I guess.
L062a_fagus_sylvatica_1102_bonsai.jpg

LindaPat

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
When I grow the American Elms there are lots of faults while growing. Nature helps smooth things out.

Thank you for this pic. Amazing! I gather that I could chop at the base of the thickest straight piece and cut off all remaining limbs, then see a lot of growth afterward. But do you mean chop a few inches above the ground? (Haha, sumo)

LindaPat

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Theres a few long straight pieces, not sure which one you mean. I like it as a tall twin trunk, theres where I would go. I'd reduce the two trunks a little.
I was looking at some twin trunks recently, this one is a Beech, I see trees like this in the park all the time. down to tastes I guess.
View attachment 483419
I do like twin trunks. And beeches. That is a beauty. How low do they have to separate, in twin trunk style?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I do like twin trunks. And beeches. That is a beauty. How low do they have to separate, in twin trunk style?
The virt is a bit crude, yours is fine where they separate now, but if there is rotting wood where they meet, you could clean it out a bit more so it looks like they separate lower.
I would make the low red cuts, but if unsure, first go with the Orange cuts.
Also keep the big cuttings and try to root them with a clear bag over the top in a deep pot. If they root you could even add a couple to this tree either side for a clump style, add more interest. Looks good for the twin tho
87F8B9AB-D08D-4149-A56A-C2719DF7E58B.jpg

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here's a young Beech, it was going to be a twin trunk, but I wanted to keep the low branches so much ive decided to layer right beneath the first branch
20230419_233431.jpg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you for this pic. Amazing! I gather that I could chop at the base of the thickest straight piece and cut off all remaining limbs, then see a lot of growth afterward. But do you mean chop a few inches above the ground? (Haha, sumo)
Question…Do you have a space to plant this American Elm in the ground to grow? Does not need a lot of space. Planted on a floor tile, around 16” x 16” would control roots. The roots are planted almost directly on top of the tile. Tree centered on the tile. I grow out my Elms this way. Periodically I just cut around the shape of the tile and just leave the tree to continue ground growing. I put large heavy rocks around the trunk base for stability.

Awhile back I did not have a good grow out area. I accomplished the grow out at that time using a large low sided wood box. There are other ways also. I kept the trees from tipping by putting large heavy rocks around the base. Accomplished similar results. Just left it on the box to grow. About every three years I’d lift it out, drastically cut the roots, and then plant it back until I was ready. The first time I chopped back the trees were about 9' tall. After growing out again I cut them back after a height of about 8'. The height helps fuel the trunk. My focus was on the trunk size….the first 18” of the tree…not the height really.

American Elms grow well with good characteristics.

I would just let this tree grow. No chopping yet. If necessary it could just grow in the container you have now. There are a lot of techniques to grow out. I’m only telling you mine as I am the grower and have the results. Each of us has our own results from our own methods. If interested we could talk more.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nature presents some of the coolest flaws in trees. I have to continually remind myself to not always try to make a tree look perfect. My thought would be for you to not get hung up on flaws your tree may have right now. Learn to accept and enhance the flaws. The result presents an interesting tree with real character.

Top Bottom