American Elm styles

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a few American Elms (I think) in my yard, and am planning an air layer at some point - probably next year.

I've been doing some Googling, and it seems most bonsai and natural examples are broom. I assume that's just their tendency, and most people follow their natural form?

Just curious, as I pruned and prepped a branch for more of a formal upright style. Maybe I'll do two and try both styles.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And to make it more confusing (for me), all 4 trees in my yard have been chopped down in the past. 2 at ground level, and each grew back from one of the suckers to about 15-20'' high now, and the other 2 chopped at about 4' and are a mess of branches.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I feel like an elm can follow just about any style.

I guess I should have looked at other types of Elms too :)

I mean, I know Chinese elms are often informal upright, but I was limiting my search to American Elm, and most of what I was finding were broom.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think I've seen a proper elm elm elm as a bonsai.

Cheers!

I have a few around this yard I've been thinking about popping out. Well, one I did, From between brick wall and concrete. Replanted it in the same spot and it's alive still.
Another I popped into the front garden area, I think something ran away with it.

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I mean, I know Chinese elms are often informal upright, but I was limiting my search to American Elm, and most of what I was finding were broom.

I think mature American elms are a product of their environment. Yes, you can see some beautiful broom style large elms in a classic shape... but there are also some elms that grow in more challenging locations that don't adopt the form. I think some American elms, particularly those in landscape, are pruned at an early age to grow upright and spread... and any low or lateral branches are removed.

elm1.jpg

elm2.jpg

elm3.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Wish I had a photo of the magnificent American elm in front of the house I grew up in. It was cut down some 50 years ago due to ditch elm disease. I was maybe 15 years old when it was downed.

Point is, if you saw it, there's no other style you'd want to do other than a formal broom.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wish I had a photo of the magnificent American elm in front of the house I grew up in. It was cut down some 50 years ago due to ditch elm disease. I was maybe 15 years old when it was downed.

Point is, if you saw it, there's no other style you'd want to do other than a formal broom.

Fine, you convinced me, I'll air layer the one I prepped for informal, and take another straight one for formal broom! :)

Going to be a few years anyway, I'll have to ground plant them both for a while. Once I separate.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The "vase" form is how American Elms typically develop. That style is what to aim for with A.E. since it want to naturally go that way. The "Jefferson Elm" in D.C. is one of hundreds lining the National Mall. All have that classic form..
jeffersonelm.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On the Shenandoah River and its tributaries there are several elms that has exposed roots and lean out over the water. I don't have a picture but I remember them from a canoe trip a few years back.
I know what you are saying though because there are several around town growing in that stately formal manner as in a broom. The new growth seems to lend itself to that growth habit.

Top Bottom