American Elm, too much sun?

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How old is it? Plants sleep 1st year, creep 2nd year, and leap the third.

I'd say yours is busy putting roots down and top growth is not a priority. I bet next year it'll look much better.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
American elms will often get slightly droopy leaves like that by nature. Once the new foliage is established- often in conjunction with summer heat- the tree pulls back resources for other uses, and the leaves relax and hang loose like that. It's a sign that they're producing all the energy the tree needs.
I personally find it one of their endearing traits.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

I'd say yours is busy putting roots down and top growth is not a priority. I bet next year it'll look much better.
That’s the Japanese saying for bamboo…. Which is accurate lol

Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're just growing out the trunk at this point I'd give it all the sun you can. It doesn't look particularly scorched to me.
Yes, I'm just growing the trunk.

I'm not sure how old it is. I bought it from a Bonsai Nursery this spring, reduced the roots by a 1/4 and planted it in a pond basket in a raised bed. The trunks about 1" right now, at the base.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

I'm not sure how old it is. I bought it from a Bonsai Nursery this spring, reduced the roots by a 1/4 and planted it in a pond basket in a raised bed. The trunks about 1" right now, at the base.
I think the saying is referring to time after transplant, so your plant is sleeping, relatively speaking.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think it is an American Elm.

The leaf base seems to even and the leaf to perfectly oval.

Sorce

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Now that you mention it, the bark color is wrong. American elm are usually more than.

Now we have a whole other mystery.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It appears to me the tree (and the one next to it) were simply slip-potted into a raised planter of potting soil. I'll bet it isn't getting enough water - because the tree is rootbound and every time you water the water flows around the compacted roots.

Certainly American Elm can stand direct summer sun 24/7. I have three that sit in full NC sun, and that I just defoliated a couple of weeks ago and are now pushing fresh growth.

And others have pointed out... that's not an American Elm :) But it still is a nice tree. Just needs some root work.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
It appears to me the tree (and the one next to it) were simply slip-potted into a raised planter of potting soil. I'll bet it isn't getting enough water - because the tree is rootbound and every time you water the water flows around the compacted roots.

Certainly American Elm can stand direct summer sun 24/7. I have three that sit in full NC sun, and that I just defoliated a couple of weeks ago and are now pushing fresh growth.

And others have pointed out... that's not an American Elm :) But it still is a nice tree. Just needs some root work.
I cut the circling roots in the spring. The soil mix in my beds are quite moisture retentive, but with a good amount of aeration too. Like I said, they're also planted in pond baskets, to allow the roots to migrate.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
the water flows around the compacted roots
This is why I gave up on pond baskets entirely. Sometimes you can water all day and the water just flows out the sides rather than through the root ball. I'm probably doing it wrong. And I don't mean to hijack the thread with a debate about pond baskets. :)

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

What bonsai nursery in Ontario did you buy this from?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is why I gave up on pond baskets entirely. Sometimes you can water all day and the water just flows out the sides rather than through the root ball. I'm probably doing it wrong. And I don't mean to hijack the thread with a debate about pond baskets. :)
I understand this. I tried some dollar store plastic baskets just to see how they hold up and have the same problem.

On OP's last question, sorry, I have no experience with hornbeam, though my understanding is similar care requirements as elm, just not QUITE so forgiving. Still pretty stout trees from what I hear.

Top Bottom