BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This one definitely deserves its own thread! Love the work Arthur Joura did on this American elm, its so typical of the Oak trees we see here in the forests and parks. some of you may remember his posts from the old IBC forum, he does great work making trees look like real trees.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This tree was displayed last year at the Winter Silhouette Show in Kannapolis, NC. I spoke with Arthur about it after the show, and he shared some of the history. It still needs a lot of refinement, but you can tell it will just get better with time. I'm glad you shared the video, because the tree is much larger in real life than it appears in my photo.

I am going to add a quick comment about the species. It is very rare to find American elm bonsai. American elm (as a native species) was greatly threatened in the 20th Century due to its lack of resistance to Dutch Elm disease. The fact that this tree was grown from seed (and then air-layer) makes it even more unusual. Fortunately, it is far easier to combat Dutch Elm disease in a containerized tree than it is to battle the disease in the wild.

american-elm.jpg

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This tree was displayed last year at the Winter Silhouette Show in Kannapolis, NC. I spoke with Arthur about it after the show, and he shared some of the history. It still needs a lot of refinement, but you can tell it will just get better with time. I'm glad you shared the video, because the tree is much larger in real life than it appears in my photo.

I am going to add a quick comment about the species. It is very rare to find American elm bonsai. American elm (as a native species) was greatly threatened in the 20th Century due to its lack of resistance to Dutch Elm disease. The fact that this tree was grown from seed (and then air-layer) makes it even more unusual. Fortunately, it is far easier to combat Dutch Elm disease in a containerized tree than it is to battle the disease in the wild.

View attachment 461800
Thanks for sharing this, it does appear smaller in the pic. you can definitely see where its heading tho, twigging up nicely too, I wonder if he will still look to expand the crown or keep with a smaller compact crown.
The bark thats developed is pretty impressive for a seed grown tree, that would be from years of field growing.

As you know we had the problem with Dutch elm disease too, you can still find mature Elm trees here, theres one in the park 5mins from me, a real tall one, but theyre rare. they can be found more readily here in old hedge rows and make for very interesting and gnarly pieces, note Will baddelys trees.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Was my favorite tree at the silhouette tree. Thanks for the video

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I love American Elms and recently did a deep dive on resistant examples of trees, now trying to find out how I can order one or two. I want to go with Lewis & Clark or New Harmony for my landscape.

Appalachian bonsai was the first YouTube channel I started watching and learned to collect trees from.

Love the video, fantastic explanation on naturalistic style and enjoyed watching the work and the progression.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
EDIT: This tree was actually air layered from the seed grown mother plant. I forgot that detail from the video.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Thanks for sharing Bobby! I love this video.
I intend on doing more work in the future on American elms.
I also appreciated his bit on media, and watering. + how to choose that media based on your watering schedule!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Bobby! I love this video.
I intend on doing more work in the future on American elms.
I also appreciated his bit on media, and watering. + how to choose that media based on your watering schedule!
Oh the bit about there being no magic formula, I liked that too😊
whatever works for you, in your mini climate, is the best soil choice.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I just need to ask him where he gets his mini bark. I was able to get very fine pine mini-nuggets on the west coast. But here on the east coast the product that is called "mini nuggets" have a piece size of a golf ball or larger. I'm not honestly sure what the difference is between "mini" nuggets and regular pine bark nuggets. :)

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I just need to ask him where he gets his mini bark. I was able to get very fine pine mini-nuggets on the west coast. But here on the east coast the product that is called "mini nuggets" have a piece size of a golf ball or larger. I'm not honestly sure what the difference is between "mini" nuggets and regular pine bark nuggets. :)
Yeah! Let me know if he tells you. 🤣

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't been able to find a happy middle ground either. Any Pine Bark Nuggets I find are enormous. I usually get a giant bag of fines every year when we visit a local arboretum my wife and I enjoy in the spring. But this spring when we visited the owners weren't there and I didn't want to bother the people who were. The owners were super friendly and they use to make an exception and sell me some even though they primarily use it for their Azaleas on the grounds. I'm pretty sure there's other places around town I can find it but it was kind of part of our spring visit tradition. The only problem with it is that it's literally refined to coffee grind consistency. I'd consider getting a chipper/shredder but there's already to many other things in my list of things I want but can't/shouldn't buy.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I haven't been able to find a happy middle ground either.
The closest I can find are "pine bark fines" but they will require screening. I'd be surprised if I got even a 25% yield, but that may be ok if I can use the remainder in my landscape somewhere...

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The closest I can find are "pine bark fines" but they will require screening. I'd be surprised if I got even a 25% yield, but that may be ok if I can use the remainder in my landscape somewhere...
yeah that's what I wound up doing mostly. I still use our city water and it gets especially bad in the summer. Every year I put off that rain barrel, lol. It seemed to be helpful with pH issues. To what degree, I can't say but... Ultimately, as expected it was just a useful amendment for my acid loving material.

Top Bottom