American Elm

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
As promised, a haircut. Raining most of the day, heck, I can't remember when it wasn't raining. I retreated to the porch on the Mullet's secret lair and trimmed trees part of the day.

Before:

DSC03927-1.jpg

After:
DSC03928-1.jpg

In case you haven't been playing along, the long top branch is a thread graft that I made to improve the apex. It seems to be doing well, it has already covered the hole that I drilled through the trunk.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Very nice, I have an american elm and it growing like mad. I need to update my thread on it. Once happy they grow and grow and grow and grow

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In case you haven't been playing along, the long top branch is a thread graft that I made to improve the apex. It seems to be doing well, it has already covered the hole that I drilled through the trunk.

Looking great! It sure looks healthy. Can we see a closeup of the thread graft? I've got some Hormbeams that I might need to graft in the next year or two.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Looking great! It sure looks healthy. Can we see a closeup of the thread graft? I've got some Hormbeams that I might need to graft in the next year or two.

If I get a break in the rain, I will see what I can do. If you look on page 2 of this thread, it shows how I did it. It is actually the first that I have done, others may be better at it.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Update:

A spring shot, the branch protruding form the top is another thread graft for the apex, the squirrels broke the other one off from last year, a shame as it had started to fuse. I hate those little b@#$%@ds.

DSC08612-1.jpg

Attachments

• DSC08202.JPG
    DSC08202.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 9

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
This @Mellow Mullet be a good rime to edit the thread tags to reflect ....
"Really a Hornbeam".

Sincin it was figured back on page 1 and still confused.

Good eye @Melospiza

Sorce

I did not know you could do tags, maybe b-nut could edit the title for me? What about it @Bonsai Nut? Or I guess I could start each new post with "This is a hornbeam".......

I don't know where the random azalea picture came from.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Never tried cat, unless it was at the Chinese buffet and went unnoticed. The Kung-Po chicken did have an odd texture now that I think about it.....

I have heard that cat is similar to raccoon. A lot of people like to hunt 'coons here in the Heart of Dixie and sell the meat, it is usually required that when you skin one that you leave one foot attached, unskinned, to prove that it is a raccoon and not someone's wayward cat.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Never tried cat, unless it was at the Chinese buffet and went unnoticed. The Kung-Po chicken did have an odd texture now that I think about it.....

I have heard that cat is similar to raccoon. A lot of people like to hunt 'coons here in the Heart of Dixie and sell the meat, it is usually required that when you skin one that you leave one foot attached, unskinned, to prove that it is a raccoon and not someone's wayward cat.
Cats are stringer than coin. They are more like rabbit. Hard to tell the 2 apart when the hides off I would imagine. I never ate a cat either but I have eaten raccoon. The meat is like bear. Greasy and fatty but tender and good.
I've eaten almost every animal that lives wild here when I was a hunter and younger.

Top Bottom