AMERICAN ELM

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Update on this beautiful elm? I have just started some this year from small seedlings I've found under massive trees in my city! Very interested in this species since zelkova and Chinese elm aren't hardy in my zone

Yes will soon post an update! :)

More inspiring work Sergio! What a transformation even in the short period of time shown. I have several American elm and am enjoying them so far, and discovered a new collecting location for these this fall. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you. I have become very fond of elms in general. Next spring I think I am going to tilt the tree just slightly even more to emphasize the overall lean to the right while compressing the left side. Almost as if unseen forces are pushing the tree to grow towards one side.

Aside from more "classical" forms, I want to keep exploring other ways to express deciduous trees in nature. I believe there is a tremendous wealth of forms and growth habits that have yet to be expressed via the art of bonsai.

Wish you much success in your elm endeavors! :)

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Elm today. Further editing continues as my vision for this tree continues to progress. One branch on the lower left was removed earlier this year to further enhance the heavy right lean of the design and create a larger negative area. Little is done now to wire this tree as I would like to keep it a bit more "wild". These elms are great to work on as they respond readily and quickly! Next spring I will move towards improvement of the nebari. Eventually it will benefit from a couple of root grafts. The long root on the right will be air layered to hopefully produce roots closer to the trunk.

IMG_0758 copy.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
Another lovely tree Serg.

If I may ask a few somewhat basic styling questions to understand how you got to this image.

1. Why have you chosen to make the longest, lowest branches hanging on the right when the tree is leaning right?
Is this to give to illusion the weight of the branches have pulled the tree in that direction?

2. In a natural setting would the left side of the tree not receive more light and therefore have stronger growth?
So, was this styling deliberately done to go against this or did you just allow the tree to grow and you styled the tree it "wanted to be"?

3. Did the large root on the right of the trunk have much bearing on your styling decisions?

4. The mesh you used to hold soil in place ( I assume), did you leave it in place and allow the moss to grow over it or remove once the soil "set"?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
All great questions Gary. Please see my responses below in red.

1. Why have you chosen to make the longest, lowest branches hanging on the right when the tree is leaning right?
Is this to give to illusion the weight of the branches have pulled the tree in that direction?

Yes, I want the tree to have a heavy lean to the right but not because the weight of its branches has pulled it into that direction, but rather it leans due to unknown forces ie. wind, nearby trees, etc. I'd love the viewer to fill in the blanks in the story.

2. In a natural setting would the left side of the tree not receive more light and therefore have stronger growth?
So, was this styling deliberately done to go against this or did you just allow the tree to grow and you styled the tree it "wanted to be"?

Not really if we are saying unknown forces are affecting its growth. Again... wind, nearby trees, manmade structure, etc. However, you would be right if the tree was growing in an open space. But then it would grow more even and upright.

3. Did the large root on the right of the trunk have much bearing on your styling decisions?

Yes! It was one element that gave me the idea of this tree growing heavily to one side. Often times, are the trees themselves that give me the ideas!

4. The mesh you used to hold soil in place ( I assume), did you leave it in place and allow the moss to grow over it or remove once the soil "set"?

It was used to keep the soil from washing away until the tree produced enough roots to hold everything together.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What really impresses me about this tree is that it looks like an authentic large tree growing on a hilltop somewhere. It is really Wow.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This tree has certainly come a long way from that workshop! Looking wild and wonderful.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Enjoying the progress on this elm. I have one flagged to collect next spring and will continue to look here for inspiration.

One question for you Sergio - is the air layering of the large root to prompt more roots closer to the trunk just a matter of wounding and letting the soil provide the moisture needed for roots to grow (+ rooting hormone, like a typical ground layer) or do you have additional techniques to encourage this to happen?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Enjoying the progress on this elm. I have one flagged to collect next spring and will continue to look here for inspiration.

One question for you Sergio - is the air layering of the large root to prompt more roots closer to the trunk just a matter of wounding and letting the soil provide the moisture needed for roots to grow (+ rooting hormone, like a typical ground layer) or do you have additional techniques to encourage this to happen?

Yes, pretty much but two things I do. I add sphagnum moss around the top of the root where the air layer was made. Then I clip on a piece of drainage screen to help keep the moss in place and the area consistently damp.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Love the direction, Mach, could be a park/woodland tree.
Here's two similar in my park, first one is English elm, second looks very similar to yours, I think its an oak or something else
Screenshot_20230102_180248_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230102_175424_Gallery.jpg

Top Bottom