American Hackberry - Celtis occidentalis

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was wondering if anyone is working with these? Easy to collect - survive with virtually no roots. I've collected several, but haven't had them long enough to work much on styling. The best feature is the warty bark on young trees. The leaves are very large but reduce nicely. The pic shows a hand-sized leaf from a yard tree, and the thumb-sized from one of mine in a pot. Grow well in sun and shade, drought and flood resistant. I'd post more pics, but the trees are under the snow at the moment.

Anyone with examples of American Hackberry?

Brian

Attachments

• Hackberry leaf.jpg
    Hackberry leaf.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 169
  • hackberry leaf reduction.jpg
    hackberry leaf reduction.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 160
  • hackberry trunk.jpg
    hackberry trunk.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 169

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have never, but anything is worth a try. Nobody was using escallonia until some brave soul dug one up from a hedge row. I'd love to see more pics after the thaw.

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Here's a gem in the pacific rim collection, I'm not sure if this is American, European, or Chinese variety - but they all seem to make great bonsai.
hackberry_sm.jpg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Evan. Wonderful tree. Given the smooth bark I'd guess that's a Chinese hackberry.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I am interested in the same thing (native specie, American Hackberry-Celtis occidentalis) but not yet have tried to grow it. Brent claims it behaves well and offers it but, like you, I have never seen any "great" examples. I have seen online a few examples of decent developing Southern Hackberry (Celtis laevigata). I have also long ago read about some folks in Indiana who had a cow browsed collecting place on sacred Indian land but who knows. They actually grow where I am at in MN (well, just south). I have only found huge trees and gangling brush--what I want is the mowed, chomped, maimed, stumpy stuff. I am afraid that the species may be like Siberians--which overall seems to be a branch dropping heartbreak species of death--but maybe not. Got's to get some Hack-I do.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here's a gem in the pacific rim collection, I'm not sure if this is American, European, or Chinese variety - but they all seem to make great bonsai.
I was just up there a couple of weeks ago. This is a 40 yo Chinese Hackberry.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
U-tube has a good video on the southern variety--even so it say Celtis occidentalis it is the southern Celtis laevigata.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am interested in the same thing (native specie, American Hackberry-Celtis occidentalis) but not yet have tried to grow it. Brent claims it behaves well and offers it but, like you, I have never seen any "great" examples. I have seen online a few examples of decent developing Southern Hackberry (Celtis laevigata). I have also long ago read about some folks in Indiana who had a cow browsed collecting place on sacred Indian land but who knows. They actually grow where I am at in MN (well, just south). I have only found huge trees and gangling brush--what I want is the mowed, chomped, maimed, stumpy stuff. I am afraid that the species may be like Siberians--which overall seems to be a branch dropping heartbreak species of death--but maybe not. Got's to get some Hack-I do.

Published range for C. occidentalis. Find one mature tree and you can usually find bunches of daughters around, mostly down hill. The other pics are of a tree near me that I found amazing. An oak limb has rubbed the trunk of the neighboring hackberry. The hackberry response looks more like something you'd see from a Ficus. It grew around the oak limb, engulfing and killing it. Just amazing for a temperate zone tree!

Brian

Attachments

• hackberry range.jpg
    hackberry range.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 197
  • hackberry oak 1.jpg
    hackberry oak 1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 174
  • hackberry oak 2.jpg
    hackberry oak 2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 165

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You know I love me some Hackberry. I have two one of which is certainly Chinese, the other one is probably the same. Would like to work with the American variety. One thing I've found is the necessity of not pruning any new growth past about early-mid August (here). The small twiggy branches do suffer some winter dieback, so the more you leave the less you loose. You can get these to ramify if you follow that strategy, some people claim that they are difficult to ramify.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know I love me some Hackberry. I have two one of which is certainly Chinese, the other one is probably the same. Would like to work with the American variety. One thing I've found is the necessity of not pruning any new growth past about early-mid August (here). The small twiggy branches do suffer some winter dieback, so the more you leave the less you loose. You can get these to ramify if you follow that strategy, some people claim that they are difficult to ramify.

I wonder if the American species will be more resistant to this kind of die back.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
I collected one near Fort Smith Arkansas a number of years ago. I believe it had been chewed back by cattle (it was in a pasture). It was what I would call a yamadori - nice tree to begin with. I live in Michigan just north of their natural range so I must give it winter protection. It has suffered significant die back twice. Once was the first winter I had it when I didn't protect it at all and once last winter when it got to minus 20 a couple of nights. I hadn't prepared for that.

Perhaps their best feature for bonsai is the way they ramify. They quite quickly develop lots of very fine branches with small leaves.

Perhaps their worst feature for bonsai is that cuts heal over with great knobby scars. Be very careful how and where you prune.

You don't see many American Hackberry and I am not sure why. If I lived in their natural range, I would be an enthusiastic collector. I think you should go for it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Judy!

I was looking forward to a pic of one of my favorite trees!

All.

I had one I got from a rock crack on the lakefront.
It was near death from my rookie mistakes but kept improving over 3 seasons.
Last winter took it cuz I left Sphagnum in it. Everything with moss died.

Besides that....it ramified exactly how I intended it to. Leaves got tiny. Backbudded well. Beautiful, wonderful tree.!

My favorite second to Ulmus!

Hopefully getting another this year!

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's pretty shaggy, although naked right now, as it's got a lot of summer uncut shoots. I'll take a pic when the cold weather is almost gone, and I do a trim and wire before actual spring for you Sorce.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Great to see that it airlayers easily. How long did you take between starting it and separation?
I started the layer just after the 1st set of leaves hardened and separated within 3 months. I've had it in my greenhouse all winter to protect the new roots and it looks like there's been some branch die back. I'll know more and update the post when I know more.

dobharchu

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Every few years we have a bumper crop of Celtis occidentalis seedlings in our neighborhood from the boulevard trees the city planted--at least they're a common weed in my yard. I've been working with them for a few years--they ramify really well and the leaves get down to under an inch long. They don't seem to like full sun (leaves will get crispy edges) when in a pot. They'll take a zone 4 winter outside on the ground mulched in though the jury is still out on the results of this winter...

Top Bottom