American Hornbeam #1

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Leafing out. I’m thinking about putting this tree in a bonsai pot in a year or two

A98E2BEE-A738-40FA-92D7-23E5E7D4CC61.jpeg

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Leafing out. I’m thinking about putting this tree in a bonsai pot in a year or two

View attachment 430886
If that’s the case start some thread grafts on the all along lower trunk on all sides …on the main tree from that sucker on the right , then in 2 years once those grafts grow on their own, get rid of it .. you will also need to feed it heavily this year to build girth on upper branch , eventuallly it willl need to have a better translation for taper so that dead portion of that upper trunk chop will have to be carved down as well.

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If that’s the case start some thread grafts on the all along lower trunk on all sides …on the main tree from that sucker on the right , then in 2 years once those grafts grow on their own, get rid of it .. you will also need to feed it heavily this year to build girth on upper branch , eventuallly it willl need to have a better translation for taper so that dead portion of that upper trunk chop will have to be carved down as well.
I’ve never tried a tread graft before. I was thinking about giving it a shot this year on this or another tree for practice

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was hoping to get that left lowest branch to have a smoother bend, but I'm afraid it's about to break if I try to force it any further

DSC_4575.JPG

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Once its bent leave for a week or 2 and then you should be able to get a little more from it

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I wonder if you cut back at some point you’d get back budding along trunk
I thought about doing a chop about half way down the trunk. I've tried with a few other hornbeams I don't have posted here with mixed results. Some threw out some lower buds, but a lot pushed one or two right by the base and just a crap ton of suckers.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I thought about doing a chop about half way down the trunk. I've tried with a few other hornbeams I don't have posted here with mixed results. Some threw out some lower buds, but a lot pushed one or two right by the base and just a crap ton of suckers.
Cut back the extended growth up top.. sorry , not cut the trunk, but cut the top branches back , leave them but snip down to 2 or one group to see if it back buds further down.

Top Bottom