Caleb Campbell

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here is another Carpinus Caroliniana I collected in December 2020. It has a rather straight trunk, but has a massive (comparitively) opposing root flare. Will be a nice, straight, shohin+ haha. Wish I got pictures of the roots when I potted it.

Upon Collection:
IMG_3792.jpg

Leafed out in February and here it is mid-April:
DSCF0127.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0129.jpg
    DSCF0129.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 18

Caleb Campbell

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
By July it had very good, healthy growth. While my elms were being swarmed by sapsuckers, fungus, and 🤬 deer, my hornbeams didn't skip a beat. IMG_1433.jpg

Decided to take a pretty later air layer before chopping to my desired leader halfway down the trunk. It was a really tricky position but I managed to pull it off with a cream cheese container I dig out of the bottom of our garbage.
IMG_1562.jpgIMG_1563.jpg

Air layer was ready by November. Later than I'd like but I didn't wanna wait any longer to chop, and the top of this tree would just be chopped off and trashed otherwise. Plan on making it a very short shohin tree at some point.
IMG_3570.jpgIMG_3571.jpg

And finally, the main tree with its leader and all:
IMG_3572.jpg

Keeping the nebari buried so it can improve, and hopefully become more radial, so you'll have to stay tuned to see it in the future

Attachments

• IMG_3568.jpg
    IMG_3568.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 17

LindaPat

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have several of these, collected trees from north of Albany NY, and many have long trunks. I’m happy to see they can be layered. I’ll try one this summer.

Top Bottom