American Hornbeam Advice

DT3s

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and would like to get some advice and tips on styling this American hornbeam I recently acquired.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 20221013_165100.jpg
    20221013_165100.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 20221013_165238.jpg
    20221013_165238.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 137

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would not worry about styling now. Just provide a protected space for winter at this time. You have all winter to think about its styling before you start working on it in late winter / early spring.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You must of bought it with a vision/future in mind? or did you buy it just because you liked it as is?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I would remove that big dead second trunk, or at least carve it down so that it adds to the design, to me, it is the first think that is noticed when you look at it. Can't tell much else with the leaves on, you could remove them. If you are waiting for them to fall, it will take a while. Am. Hornbeam hold on to most their leaves until spring, even after they turn brown.

DT3s

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would not worry about styling now. Just provide a protected space for winter at this time. You have all winter to think about its styling before you start working on it in late winter / early spring.
Thank you, yes I'm doing prep work for winter care. Just looking for ideas now for the work this coming spring.

DT3s

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would remove that big dead second trunk, or at least carve it down so that it adds to the design, to me, it is the first think that is noticed when you look at it. Can't tell much else with the leaves on, you could remove them. If you are waiting for them to fall, it will take a while. Am. Hornbeam hold on to most their leaves until spring, even after they turn brown.
Thank you. I think that's where I will start, carving down that dead second trunk.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How far SW?
I'm in Aurora now.

Welcome to Crazy!

What's the green coming up? Tree?

I'd cut that off so it doesn't have to waste energy dying this winter.

Sorce

DT3s

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How far SW?
I'm in Aurora now.

Welcome to Crazy!

What's the green coming up? Tree?

I'd cut that off so it doesn't have to waste energy dying this winter.

Sorce
Thanks Sorce.
I'm in Woodridge.
Yeah I have to cut those at the base of the tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you. I think that's where I will start, carving down that dead second trunk.
If that trunk in the front dead? I'd leave it if it is alive and cut off the other, larger trunk in the back so the scar will be on the rear of the tree.

Also, I would post more pictures of the tree from all angles so we can get a better idea of what to recommend.

This is a killer trunk by the way...

DT3s

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If that trunk in the front dead? I'd leave it if it is alive and cut off the other, larger trunk in the back so the scar will be on the rear of the tree.

Also, I would post more pictures of the tree from all angles so we can get a better idea of what to recommend.

This is a killer trunk by the way...
Here's another pic from different angle.
I think I'll continue to carve out the front trunk. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20221022_161143.jpg
    20221022_161143.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 77
Top Bottom