American Hornbeam: Cornfed Edition

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Next up is Carpinus caroliniana, The American Hornbeam. I am new to all of this, so don't take this thread as advice (unless it isn't coming from me).

Screenshot 2021-04-09 221944.pngScreenshot 2021-04-09 221924.png

It was propagated from seed last year. I bought it in a one-gallon pot with 80% pine bark. Leaves have already opened obviously, but I tried this anyways.

20210409_153213.jpg
My goal for this tree is to thicken the trunk and develop the roots by repotting it in a larger, 5-gallon Rootmaker container with a more air-retentive soil. I realize I could plant it in the ground for maximum thickening, but I simply don't want to.

20210409_153258.jpg
Roots look decent.

20210409_153817.jpg
After knocking some soil off.

20210409_153822.jpg
The other side.

20210409_154006.jpg
There are two patches of fine roots, one high one low. I sever the tap root in betwen them.

20210409_154331.jpg
The result.

20210409_155018.jpg

I'm using a kitchen-sink blend as a substrate. I ultimately need 50+gallons of substrate to up-pot my newly acquired trees, so using up as much of the material I have recently purchased for my soil tests was beneficial. It's equal parts Sifted Pine Bark, Grit, Turface & Diatomaceous Earth (2-5mm) with a dash of Sphagnum Peat Fines. I tested the soil's mechanical properties at 29% Saturated Porosity (air-filled space), and 25% Field Capacity (water-filled space) after draining. Hopefully it will work, because conventional substrates are difficult to find. I added the fines back into the mix after sifting the

I am divided on whether to let it grow naturally or to do some trimming. I would prefer to air-layer instead of prune. I could see it happening above that first branch and that first branch becoming the new leader.

I will be posting separate threads for my other species as I get them in pots this weekend.

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It was looking good this weekend!

IMG_6852.JPG

This year is all about trunk growth so I'm not planning on big cuts. But down the line, when I do... I'm kind of thinking right about here:

InkedIMG_6852_LI.jpg

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Nice plan, but depending on what your end goal is, I think your chop will most likely be somewhere around here, maybe lower. The higher you make your chop, the less taper that can be achieved.
8F16FF45-1376-4DBD-B169-4AECF47A0088.jpeg

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the input! I suppose I was thinking that with the cut at the red line, that branch would be the new leader and I would get taper from the transition. And that after I made the cut, some new buds would grow along the trunk to create lower branches.

But you're right, and I already made the mistake of a too-high chop on an extra swamp-white oak I had laying around. Thanks for giving me something to think about.

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Noticed a couple yellow leaves today. What is the tree trying to tell me?

20210513_163146.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
sometimes its a sign of too much water. its minor really as only on the odd leaf. tree looks healthy overall

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
sometimes its a sign of too much water. its minor really as only on the odd leaf. tree looks healthy overall

I read this as I was holding the watering wand, but just before watering.

I'll leave it go today and see how it looks tomorrow.

I usually water once a day, but they are bigger containers so they'll hold more, evaporate more slowly, compared to bonsai pots.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I like your thread, I have skinny long AH so I am probably a year or two behind you
Keep us updated 😉

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like your thread, I have skinny long AH so I am probably a year or two behind you
Keep us updated 😉

Thank you! I'm kind of using the thread for my own notes, to keep track of events and to make decisions. I made a thread for all of my trees.

Added benefit, when I see a problem it's easy to post a photo and all the relevant information is in the thread for anybody who chooses to weigh in.

My little guy is only a year old himself so I'm sure you're not that far behind. Out of all the species I got, though, I think I'm most excited about this one... (don't tell the others).

Top Bottom