American hornbeam ground layer

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Never too late, if roots don't form by autumn, just leave the wrap in place, it will root sometime the following year. I personally have not done hornbeam, but I have done several JBP, and in my climate they took 24 months to root. Wintered them the same way I always do.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Never too late, if roots don't form by autumn, just leave the wrap in place, it will root sometime the following year. I personally have not done hornbeam, but I have done several JBP, and in my climate they took 24 months to root. Wintered them the same way I always do.
Thank you. I would expect hornbeam would layer faster than jbp. I plan on layering them in the ground, so I can just mound up some dirt or mulch for winter protection.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have not done a ground layer on a Hornbeam. However, I have done a ground layer on a Maple (a basic backyard Maple, not a Japanese Maple). I just boxed the tree in...sides only, no bottom or top. The box, made of 1x4 wood, about 10 x 12, sat right on the ground. Filled the box with soil after cutting a good sized ring around the tree. I used aged bark chips and Turface. Mostly Turface. It worked for me...and it’s what I had on hand when I was inspired to do the ground layer. I watered the tree like I would regularly do. It worked very well. I started the ground layer in late June. It grew some roots well by autumn. But I was hungry for more roots...and I was uncertain of the disconnect and root disturbance just before winter. I left everything in place over winter and just covered the ground area and box with wood chips I had nearby. Worked very well over my winter. I didn’t take everything apart until the next late spring (I knew there were roots growing well after I dislodged some soil).

Top Bottom