American Hornbeam Raft

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have been looking around for material to create a raft for a while. A club member offered to sell me this American hornbeam. The tree had a dead area on the lower trunk. This tree looked like a perfect candidate for a raft/bridge tree.
20201011_123709.jpg

I was originally attracted to this maple raft I saw on bonsai Eejit.(I'm not sure who's tree this is) I especially like the way the hollows draw your eye. I want to create the same kind of drama with this native tree.
SmartSelect_20210411-125402_Chrome.jpg

After looking at a few books and videos on the subject I started the project.
In the fall I removed all the branches from the side I would lay down. I removed the bark and cambium from where I needed roots to grow and placed that area on a block of sphagnum moss.
20210321_123110.jpg

My plan is to let it grow out all year and try to bend a branch in place for a thread graft near the rootball. I did a little carving also where another hollow will be on the back of the tree.
20210411_112147.jpg20210411_112153.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
good potential, i would love to create one too at some point
did you watch the recent raft stream on mirai?

Last edited:

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
good potential, i would love to create one too at some point
did you watch the recent raft stream on mirai?
Yes. I like what he did with that piece of material!
I think the idea of creating a 'wild bramble' effect was authentic.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Very cool … so you just planted it on its side w rootball in same container or can you build a raft but deprecate the rootball from tree also?

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Very cool … so you just planted it on its side w rootball in same container or can you build a raft but deprecate the rootball from tree also?
Thanks Shogun! There is a bit of a process that varies slightly according to who you ask. I'll try to note them here if may help. (This is the short version. Probably good to do research)
1) build a box
2) in spring reduce rootball in stages (yearly)
3) expose cambium and apply rooting hormone
4) place those downward exposed areas on a block of sphagnum moss. Fill the rest of the box with bonsai soil.
5) let it grow all year
I found an older Peter Adam's book with instructions. Also I watched a Ryan Neil video.

Top Bottom