American Hornbeam stock for Forest planting

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have 7 hornbeams that I purchased as bare root seedlings 2 years ago with plans of making a forest. I put them into colanders and pond baskets to grow out for a little while before combining them into one forest.

The trees are still very thin, pencil width plus or minus. Im wondering if it is better to combine them now into a large bonsai pot, when i can get them reasonably close together, or should i wait another year or two when the trees have a little more girth. I do have a pretty deep and wide pot that would allow some growth if i were to combine them this spring.

thanks
Ridley

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is best to grow out the trees as much as possible before combining them. As individual trees it is easier to develop them

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Making sub-groups, by putting a few trees tight together in their pots, and yet develop these for a while as separate units is the way to go.

For example, with 7 seedlings, you could pot 3 tight together, then develop them in one pot for a few more years, another pot you could put 2 tight together, and develop that pot as a single unit for a couple more years. This would then make your 7 tree forest a group of 3, a group of 2 and 2 singles to place in your tray. The tallest can be part of a group, or it can be a single. Up to you.

Top Bottom