American Hornbeam

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Winter cut back and wiring. 24” tall. Considering rotation of front.

9835871E-AC2B-4BC1-9C0E-96BD06C85601.jpeg
Original front, not bad. Trunk movement better at top.

305939F3-14B5-4A3E-80C1-F3EA416B270C.jpeg
Turned 30 to left. Trunk movement a bit better at bottom, less good at top. This rotation shifts a couple front oriented branches at bottom and mid tree to the left, so there is less overlap on trunk.

EB48CB85-98EA-4D00-BDB8-2B9C98CC30DA.png
A couple of new pot choices. Yellow and gray/blue might look nice.

What is your preferred front? Choice of pot?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The yellow, front picture one.
Not that it matters. This tree is gorgeous all around!

Nebari & tilt of the trunk could be a help?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The yellow, front picture one.
Not that it matters. This tree is gorgeous all around!

Nebari & tilt of the trunk could be a help?
While the hornbeam is in leaf, the top yellow pot would be best i agree. But fall is when a. Hornbeam really shine, with shades of yellow, orange, and red- here the second or fourth (from top) would compliment this best. So perhaps it depends on what season you want to feature this tree during.

weetree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
What a wonderful problem to have. A beautiful tree and a selection of 4 outstanding pots. You can't go wrong.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you all above for your comments above.

The tree is mine, started from a garden nursery, some 25 yrs ago. Looking at pictures more closely, I agree with Leatherback, tree could use a tilt just a bit to the left. Nebari is pretty good, air layered it to improve 10 yrs ago or so. Yet, I buried it a bit deep the last repot, and would hope to raise the nebari a touch, by lowering soil level on next repot.

The pots are not mine, Sara Rayner responded to an inquiry with the above picture. I like several, may buy several of these, and use some other for maples. In SD, autumn color is unpredictable, and this tree goes from green, to light green, then tan! Very little yellow, unfortunately. I have Korean Hornbeam, and elm that show great color, just not my American Hornbeam, for whatever reason.

How do people feel about the current pot size? Sara's pots in the above picture are similar size, or just an inch less.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
second photo front -subtle movement here appears fluid from top to bottom and evokes more, seems more compelling, or at least find myself looking at longer and not picking it apart etc. but rather appreciating

bottom pot will always complement the bark of the tree and be a subtle complementary juxtaposition to any leaf change..? also, I think of hornbeam as understory trees associated with or near streams in the wild -at least how I find them here....the darker elements of the lower pot could also be more akin to these natural settings..

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
James,
Your work is quite apparent and really well developed! If anything at all it would be nice to further develop the trunk and possibly some more of the surface roots that may be hiding below the surface. I'd go with the darker green version as it will definitely compliment the tree in leaf.
I too will be further pruning and rewiring my two (of 30+yrs from saplings) and at the same time I'm planning an air layer on the one. More later.
Best,
vance hanna

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice, I like the profile in the second picture better.

I think either the yellow or the green pot or the darker blue/gray would be nice.
I am leaning more toward the green or the darker blue/gray because its darker color contrasts the trunk color better

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I study with Boon. He will likely have several suggestions, suggest lightening the tree and shortening branches. He often says "tall skinny tree needs short branches." We will discuss, I will invariably adjust. Then hope to drop it is a new pot this spring. Will update then, and after leaves push. Will look totally different with green on it.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you all above for your comments above.

The tree is mine, started from a garden nursery, some 25 yrs ago. Looking at pictures more closely, I agree with Leatherback, tree could use a tilt just a bit to the left. Nebari is pretty good, air layered it to improve 10 yrs ago or so. Yet, I buried it a bit deep the last repot, and would hope to raise the nebari a touch, by lowering soil level on next repot.

The pots are not mine, Sara Rayner responded to an inquiry with the above picture. I like several, may buy several of these, and use some other for maples. In SD, autumn color is unpredictable, and this tree goes from green, to light green, then tan! Very little yellow, unfortunately. I have Korean Hornbeam, and elm that show great color, just not my American Hornbeam, for whatever reason.

How do people feel about the current pot size? Sara's pots in the above picture are similar size, or just an inch less.
Considering what you said about the fall color, I say the top pot. You mentioned how long you've had the tree, so maybe you should think about having a pot custom made for it. 25 years deserves the perfect pot IMO!

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I study with Boon. He will likely have several suggestions, suggest lightening the tree and shortening branches. He often says "tall skinny tree needs short branches." We will discuss, I will invariably adjust. Then hope to drop it is a new pot this spring. Will update then, and after leaves push. Will look totally different with green on it.

I'm a huge fan of those sprawling proportions. The tree looks mature and refined, but still young enough to have some vigor and last another hundred years or three. That's not an image you see as often in bonsai, and I appreciate the way it distinguishes your tree from the rest. Anyway, that's my two cents.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How do people feel about the current pot size?
In its current state I'd want to see the pot wider, but if Boon convinces you to shorten them branchi, I think the current size is ok.

I dig the side profile of the yellow one. The tree feels not curvy enough, or fem enough, to need those more rounded sides. Maybe it gets more fem in greeen leaf, but it'll probably masc out in fall again.

That kinda feat deserves some nice shoes!

Sorce

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Based on what you said, maybe it'd look something like this.

Attachments

• james-AmHo-ed.jpeg
    james-AmHo-ed.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 35

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wonderful feedback from you all, much appreciated. I don’t want to suggest this is masterpiece (which it is not), but rather an old friend that has been with me through 25yrs, 3 houses, cross country move and now coming into its own. The recent (gentle) restyling (only one big branch off), and simplification and your comments have made me think more about what I think about this tree, and how I want it to feel.

I want it to be gentle, feminine and approachable. I like the suggestion for a minor angle change, to the left. With that, I think tree should be potted a bit more to the right, to reinforce a gentle leftward movement. I like the positive feedback for the sprawl (for lack of a better term), with longer branches. The virtual above (with shorter branches) makes the tree feel more vertical, less meandering. It may be more technically correct (thin trunk, short branches), but takes me away from the gentle, welcoming feel that that the longer lower branches give the tree.

Below, I set the tree in a larger pot (for color comparison, away from unglazed) with an angle change and shifted tree to the right. This is intended to further the discussion you have started. Your feedback is appreciated.

FEA6E532-5592-4BAD-ABAA-3C4CD9E0BF6F.jpeg

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I have a few old friends as well! In my opinion, all of the pots you have shown are at least twice too deep. I think your tree would shine in a very very shallow container...an inch or less. Only you know if that would be a workable solution related to your weather and ability to care for it...

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 350928

View attachment 350929
Turned 30 to left. Trunk movement a bit better at bottom, less good at top. This rotation shifts a couple front oriented branches at bottom and mid tree to the left, so there is less overlap on trunk.

View attachment 350930

What is your preferred front? Choice of pot

View attachment 350928

View attachment 350929

View attachment 350930

What is your preferred front? Choice of pot?
I like the original from. I love both the green and next the yellow pot. Nice tree !

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the original front. I love both the green and next the yellow pot. Nice tree !

Top Bottom