American Hornbeam


Reaction score
This is a tree purchased from a collector a few years back, and just into a training pot for the first time this spring.


The original roots were quite poor, so I spent the past two years layering the tree. There were some dead spots on the trunk, and unfortunately the resultant layered roots aren't great either, but they are at least all on one level!

The only other major work I have done is a large chop last summer. There aren't many branches on the backside of the tree, and I was afraid of die-back in addition to the challenges with healing large wounds on this species. So I attempted the wedge cut technique. It was not fun working that hard wood down so delicately, but I got some decent callous the second half of the summer.


I'm excited to see how it does this year.
Top Bottom