American Larch #1

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Over the past few months I've picked up a handful of American larch yamadori, it's been quite enjoyable having them on the bench. Japanese larch trees are what initially piqued my interest in bonsai.

To that end I know the pictured tree is a year out of collection and it was recommended to let it grow another year. I noticed some needle yellowing - do you think this is just the precursor to needle drop? Out of the five collected larches I have two are still green, two are in this state, and one is more yellow. If anyone has any insight it's very much appreciated - I'm just trying to get a handle on things before things get out of control. From a watering perspective I've kept them on the damper side but do let the pots dry almost all the way out before watering.

I'm looking forward to another year of consideration but if anyone has design input it's certainly welcome

Best,
Zak

Attachments

• american larch #1 - A.jpg
    american larch #1 - A.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 121
  • american larch #1 - B.jpg
    american larch #1 - B.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 115
  • american larch #1 - C.jpg
    american larch #1 - C.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 111
  • american larch #1 - D.jpg
    american larch #1 - D.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 113
  • american larch #1 - E.jpg
    american larch #1 - E.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 105
  • american larch #1 - F.jpg
    american larch #1 - F.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 121

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My larch Just started to change collors to getting ready for dormacy....

I do read in your message saying to keep it more to the damp side but let it drie almost all the way out.
Sound for me as a dangerous thing.
Just keep the soil moist, so one good watering let it dry up a bit but never "almost all the way up" if you do this and are a couple hours or even minutes late on watering again the dammage to the roots can already be done they dried up and stop working.
Both to much or to little water cause yellow leaves/needles and since its fall i guess only time Will tell

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Same with mine. I have two larix laricina and they both just began going gold for the season.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Eastern larch, Larix laricina is a bog or swamp plant. It comes from hummocks in wet habitats. It may be growing somewhat above the water table but water is usually fairly close to the tree, roots can and often do extend into open water.

Other members of Larix, the European larch and the Japanese larch are mountain plants. They are found in alpine meadows, and rocky, mountainous habitats. Frequently near water, but these species are never found in the wet habitats that Larix laricina is found in. European BNuts will keep their larches much less moist than North Americans will keep theirs. This is because the two species come from very different habitats. North American Larix laricina can have Sarracena (pitcher plant) as a companion plant, in the same pot or as an accent.

American larch keep wet to moist, never dry. It can tolerate standing water for short periods. Easy to kill with drought.

European larch prefers moist to lightly damp, but never dry. Does not tolerate standing water for any significant length of time. Slightly, emphasis on only slightly more drought tolerant.

Japanese larch similar to European larch.

Other larches, Larix occidentalis Western larch, is another mountain larch, I have no personal experience with it.

Dahurian larch, Larix gmelinii is from Siberia, I would guess it is more like Larix laricina, but I do not know, I have no personal experience with if.

Last edited:

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My experience with tamaracks agrees with Leo. I lifted some in the fall and even then, they were in standing water so I had to wear waders to get them. At certain times of the year, they may have roots above the water table, but certainly much of the year they were in water.

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I should add to my post above the observation that we have a large Am. larch growing up on a hill side in an environment that also grows Red Oak, White Pine, and White Birch, that is not a wet area. So although tamaracks are frequently found in bogs, they can grow in drier environments.

Top Bottom