American Larch pruning

Cabin Fever

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m new to bonsai and have started picking up some pre bonsai materials from the local nurseries.
I bought this American Larch (Tamarack) yesterday and after getting it home, I’m thinking about going back
for a few more. They seem to have decent trunks and I’m thinking about creating a forest or group.

This one is 28” high so I’m not sure how far to cut it back if any and what to do with the bigger side branch.
Any tips or suggestions welcomed.
Thanks,
Bryan

Attachments

• 36399296-EB34-4524-BFDC-49CB10DE1F45.jpeg
    36399296-EB34-4524-BFDC-49CB10DE1F45.jpeg
    412.8 KB · Views: 85
  • C2CA97F9-5404-497C-BA2A-6AF9F2DAED19.jpeg
    C2CA97F9-5404-497C-BA2A-6AF9F2DAED19.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I friggin' love em! they don't back bud so be really carefull about what material you select. I have never tried, or considered trying, them from seed, it'd be a long hike but probably fun(ish). you can leave them outside unmulched all winter and they actually enjoy it. I'm not experienced enough to offer help with this tree, other than eliminating the lower branch would make it a good candidate for a forest grouping.

Cabin Fever

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Being new to bonsai my initial thought when I bought this tree was to maybe wire the large side branch
in a more upright position to create a double trunk but really have no idea if this should be considered..

I would like to shorten it but not sure how much yet.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
. I have never tried, or considered trying, them from seed, it'd be a long hike but probably fun(ish).
The plant here is probably 4 or so years from seed. So not long process.

For this tree, i would think you need a bit more trunk on it? So maybe give some shape and let it grow out?

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
Yes, you could wire the smaller side branch straight up as a second trunk. OR you could eliminate the main trunk and use the side branch as your new trunk wired up. OR you could air layer and cut off the side branch for a second tree and chop an an appropriate place up on the main trunk. They are terrific trees,love the fall color and smell and the needle bundles are always short !

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Guess I'm buying larch seeds this january...
normally a double trunk tree splits at the soil level not a few inches above. Totally have seen this rule broken but only a few times and by really great artists/trees. if anything chop the tree above the first branch and wire in some movement. It's a project tree either way.
And this is a matter of opinion, but I believe forests look best with fairly straight trees. It seems like some people like movement in theirs but to me all the convincing groupings are pretty straight.
Somebody on here is a wiz with this species but I can't remember who..... I'd love to get his input

Cabin Fever

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the ideas..
I was told these were between 5 and 6 years old.
He has about 5 left so I’ll probably go back and pick up the rest of them.
Might as well start a small forest next spring as well as a solo.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Don't chop or wire til late winter early spring. If you chop now you will severely compromise all it's photosynthesis for the rest of the growing season. Meaning the larch will come out in spring very weak. Study the tree, study larch info on the webs. And you'll be ready to rip by spring time. Larch grow fast so ramification can be accomplished within a season. But all major larch work happens in the late winter / early spring . Then just pinching to maintain shape thru mid summer then rest and store energy for winter and next year's growth.

Top Bottom