American Larch

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Quit screwing with it.
Winter is coming and it needs it's best health for that obstacle.

haha you’re right! not to worry, it’s tucked against my house, north wall, unscathed!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Nice trees. Great material.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very nice. Good luck with them. They look great.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
i'd do the same as you, maybe with a flatter crown

Not sure i'd do a shari, because your bark is mature, good looking, and there is a risk that the result isn't very natural looking

Thank you! Your virt does make the tree look much more to scale with the trunk.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
no problem, i like mountain conifers with a prostrate looking

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
i'd do the same as you, maybe with a flatter crown
View attachment 281469

Not sure i'd do a shari, because your bark is mature, good looking, and there is a risk that the result isn't very natural looking
I like your idea but I would offer an option that you might like. Larch air layer quite well I would suggest layering off the top half of the tree then jinniung it down to make the effect you have shown.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like your idea but I would offer an option that you might like. Larch air layer quite well I would suggest layering off the top half of the tree then jinniung it down to make the effect you have shown.

yes sir! The top of the tree has some really neat, funky, clumpy action. I have 2 air layer spots planned up there.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
air layer

here are the 2 sections I hope to layer. The branch on the right is about an inch in diameter at the base. The bulbous part has at least 5 different branches, all coming from different angles, and 3 natural jins. I don’t know what happened to this poor tree years ago, but it sure took a beating.

D0A51CF9-95BD-4664-9FDF-E65DD4D234A7.jpeg

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
@Atom#28 can't help at all with your tree, just stoping to say hi to a neighbor. I'm 45 min north of CDA in the idaho panhandle.
Nice seeing someone from.my neck of the woods. I plan on heading north soon as I can in search of a larch.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The styling idea you have for the bottom portion of the tree is great, imo.

The top half is going to difficult. I would certainly choose the branch going to the right as the trunkline and jin off that bulb etc to the left. The difficulty, as I see it, is that branch is basically at a 90 degree angle from the lower trunk. You may be able to reduce this angle at some point with the use of raffia and some rebar. But as it stands, it's very jarring.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Atom#28 can't help at all with your tree, just stoping to say hi to a neighbor. I'm 45 min north of CDA in the idaho panhandle.
Nice seeing someone from.my neck of the woods. I plan on heading north soon as I can in search of a larch.

hi neighbor! I called the ranger station in CDA and they verified they will be issuing “transplant” permits again this year. I think it was May 1 through June 15. I found this larch just below “Cougar Peak” in the CDA forest. The only other larches I saw there were spindly little 4’ saplings, though. I’m gonna try the honeysuckle campground area this year, I think.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The styling idea you have for the bottom portion of the tree is great, imo.

The top half is going to difficult. I would certainly choose the branch going to the right as the trunkline and jin off that bulb etc to the left. The difficulty, as I see it, is that branch is basically at a 90 degree angle from the lower trunk. You may be able to reduce this angle at some point with the use of raffia and some rebar. But as it stands, it's very jarring.

Thank you. I agree. The top is super wonky. i think I’m gonna layer that 90 degree upper right branch off and try to make it into something interesting. The bulb might end up being a nice polished paper weight lol

Top Bottom