American Larch

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
hi neighbor! I called the ranger station in CDA and they verified they will be issuing “transplant” permits again this year. I think it was May 1 through June 15. I found this larch just below “Cougar Peak” in the CDA forest. The only other larches I saw there were spindly little 4’ saplings, though. I’m gonna try the honeysuckle campground area this year, I think.

I'm going to go north, up around Priest Lake. I don't know the CDA forest at all.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Spring is here! I have a plan to airlayer the top off of this tree. However, it was only collected late last year. Although I'm anxious to start the layering, my gut tells me to let the tree grow and develop for a season first.

Larch experts: airlayer this year, or wait till spring 2021? @M. Frary ?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Spring is here! I have a plan to airlayer the top off of this tree. However, it was only collected late last year. Although I'm anxious to start the layering, my gut tells me to let the tree grow and develop for a season first.

Larch experts: airlayer this year, or wait till spring 2021? @M. Frary ?
I've never tried to layer one.
But after the foliage has extended all of the way is when I would try.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I did a thing.

I still plan to AL the top portion off. It might make an interesting tree (or two) on its own. Anyways, I got lots of practice wiring! I left a lot of branches exxxxtra long because I really need to be focusing on root growth this season.

BEFORE:

IMG-5088.jpg

AFTER:

front (main tree)

8.jpg

back (made a little cascade type thingy out of the big bulb up top)

1.jpg

from underneath.
7.jpg

Concept. Phase One, pre chop
concept 1 colored.jpg9.jpg

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I know its a mess, but critiques are helpful!

Jorgens86

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If i were you i get rid of this branch at all.You d9nt need 2 apex here
Well but thats my opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_20200407_093549.jpg
    IMG_20200407_093549.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 20

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If it was my tree I would layer it off mid-way between the first branch on the left and the next mess right above it. Then you would have two potentially messed up trees to work on. Remember some of the best bonsai are made from really messed up raw material.

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think that clump up top would indeed make an amazing small shohin. Not many multi-trunk tamaracks around.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Do it soon. Please share the experience, they don't take long. you should be able to seperate by July.

Thank you, I truly appreciate your guidance! My concern is that this tree was only collected from the mountains in fall of last year. I was planning to allow a full season of growth before any big chops, to ensure the roots are well-established. Am I being overly cautious?

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If i were you i get rid of this branch at all.You d9nt need 2 apex here

Agreed. For now, since the tree is still recovering from collection, I think im gonna let everything grow for a season.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Agreed. For now, since the tree is still recovering from collection, I think im gonna let everything grow for a season.
Two points: One; there will only be two apexes in that there will now be two trees instead of one. Two; when the tree was harvested is a critical piece of information that should have been pointed out earlier. Give it at least another year before making the air layer

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Do it soon. Please share the experience, they don't take long. you should be able to seperate by July.
do these layer easy? I don't really see to much with that bulge if it were on its own. I think it looks cool now, it just needs a bit of carving some day.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
RIP. Into the burn pile. I feel like such an asshole for doing so much to this awesome tree in such a short amount of time. I was warned. I am feeling very humble and ashamed. I suppose this is the hard lesson that we all learn, one way or another. He's deader than dead, but damn.... tamarack make a very nice firewood, at least :(

I will learn from this mistake, and do better!

Top Bottom