American Larch

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Committed now. There are actually quite a few smaller buds or branches that I should be able to use in the design, while eliminating one or both of the larger bar branches. Time will tell.

image.jpg

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Easily the most vigorous tree in my collection this year. Probably not a coincidence that it is the only one in a nursery can? Food for thought. Looks quite silly at the moment but should be some options.

image.jpg

image.jpg

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Should be fun to wire come spring. If you plan on keeping it in a can for while I would screw a piece of 1x or something under the base of the root clot to get-um spreading.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Should be fun to wire come spring. If you plan on keeping it in a can for while I would screw a piece of 1x or something under the base of the root clot to get-um spreading.

Good idea, I wasn't planning on keeping it in a can but its silly to shove a developing tree in a bonsai pot I guess. I'm thinking I need to get more of my trees into grow pots.

Wiring in spring should be fun, I have been pinching all summer. The shoots I have missed approach 10 inches long. You always wire larch in spring? Any reason why you wouldn't do it in fall after needle drop?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wire in late winter, and I know Crust does as well. I don't know how it would react to fall wiring, but although I've read things about larch reacting badly to winter wiring, I've never had any trouble. Look up some of crust's threads, and I think you'll see that he has seen the same.
If you wait till spring you can damage the growing buds, and you'll not be able to leave it on long, as developing trees can swell so quick in the spring. If you do wire in the spring, watch it close, or wire it a bit looser than you normally would.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
**SNIP**

I was bored with this tree so I went ahead and did some shari work. I hope to wire soon then I can post the progression. It is out of season but like I said, I was just so tired of it.

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
I don't know, just seems like it would be a good idea to protect it a bit more, since you did some root work. Not sure if that matters though when it's in dormancy, because it won't be growing new tender roots, I wouldn't think.

Larch can take the cold Judy. Really.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope so. Honestly, this is a tree that now I probably wouldn't have purchased but now im having a little fun with it.

That's what bonsai is all about Tom. If you not having fun then it becomes work.

I like the direction you are taking this larch.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Paul

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
And I was able to add some wire tonight. It's not a special piece of material but it at least is interesting me a bit more.

image.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It will grow into that style nicely. Have you thought of giving it a bit of an angle at some point when you repot?

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It will grow into that style nicely. Have you thought of giving it a bit of an angle at some point when you repot?

I think I might tilt the tree to the pictures left a bit. It would drop the branch a bit more and put the top Jin over the center. Thoughts?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think you should get a wedge, and take photos of it with the wedge tilting it in different directions. Pictures will show you the way. For some reason I almost always get better visual feedback on angling with photos, than with my eye. Be sure to post them...

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What are your thoughts Rob? My wiring technique really needs more work that I know.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
What are your thoughts Rob? My wiring technique really needs more work that I know.

Can't really see the wiring in the pic. I have looked at the tree and nothing came to me. I'll look again and see if I see something else in there or something that might help augment the current style.

Rob

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Can't really see the wiring in the pic. I have looked at the tree and nothing came to me. I'll look again and see if I see something else in there or something that might help augment the current style.

Rob

Far enough, the pic didn't come out very good I'll try and get a daylight pic soon.

Top Bottom