American Larch

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I stared at this tree for awhile refusing to believe that was not a nice bonsai in there. Although the current look does have potential, there are some things that seem a bit off balance. I came up with this. First, you'll need to air layer it at the point I designated in red. Next, reduce the top jin and plant it is a crescent moon rock pot. Could be a showable tree in 3-4 years.

Rob

Air layer here and reduce the jin.

You should get an image like this.

Last edited:

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I stared at this tree for awhile refusing to believe that was not a nice bonsai in there. Although the current look does have potential, there are some things that seem a bit off balance. I came up with this. First, you'll need to air layer it at the point I designated in red. Next, reduce the top jin and plant it is a crescent moon rock pot. Could be a showable tree in 3-4 years.

Rob

Air layer here and reduce the jin.

You should get an image like this.

Now that looks good! Thanks for taking the time Rob, you really have an eye for styling.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you. If you go this route, I would do it early next Spring. Also, I don't think the shari would interfere that much with the success of an air layer. I also don't think the exposed deadwood area would be in danger of rotting. Since it there would not be much and it would not be deep in the soil. I look forward to seeing this tree's progress.

Rob

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
The low A/L would result in a much better tree to my eye too-- and much more unique for a larch. The current theme of taking a complete boner larch and trying to turn it geriatric may never be convincing no matter how many years. I have had trouble A/L larch. My only advice is to be aggressive once you go for it. Once they callus, they need all ALL the peeled back trunk completely scraped clean or they will live forever on small strands of connective tissue and never sprout roots. Oh, and I use live sphagnum. And don't cut of the mother trunk off during dead hot weather or they can drop all their needles. I think detachment in late season cool weather time but with some season left--off course they have to have roots on. Lenz does have some commentary on larch A/L in his book--against convention I believe he recommends starting them in spring. I would just get a callus the first year with a wire collar then have to peel and scrape the area the next to get roots. Also I would build a pot for the A/L site then once I got callus and re-cut I would place the whole lower mother pot into a container of water--nearly completely submerged and grow it this way. The Ogre says this will convince the plant to shoot roots up above and it is they way I have always done it. Good luck.

Last edited:

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The low A/L would result in a much better tree to my eye too-- and much more unique for a larch. The current theme of taking a complete boner larch and trying to turn it geriatric may never be convincing no matter how many years. I have had trouble A/L larch. My only advice is to be aggressive once you go for it. Once they callus, they need all ALL the peeled back trunk completely scraped clean or they will live forever on small strands of connective tissue and never sprout roots. Oh, and I use live sphagnum. And don't cut of the mother trunk off during dead hot weather or they can drop all their needles. I think detachment in late season cool weather time but with some season left--off course they have to have roots on. Lenz does have some commentary on larch A/L in his book--against convention I believe he recommends starting them in spring. I would just get a callus the first year with a wire collar then have to peel and scrape the area the next to get roots. Also I would build a pot for the A/L site then once I got callus and re-cut I would place the whole lower mother pot into a container of water--nearly completely submerged and grow it this way. The Ogre says this will convince the plant to shoot roots up above and it is they way I have always done it. Good luck.

Thanks for the great info Crust. I have layered one larch before but had not submerged it. I guess the real problem is this larch wasn't collected with a whole lot of age or character. I hope to find some in the years to come that are more worthwhile.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Maybe some better pics? Probably not. It's tough to see with all the needles. Probably will do some further adjustments after they drop.

image.jpg

image.jpg

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thought I'd snap a few pictures of this larch this morning. I left this tree unprotected at te foundation of the side of my house as an experiment to see how much cold larch could take. That, and I didn't feel like spending money on having this tree overwintered at NE Bonsai. I didn't realize it was going to be so cold this winter! Looks to be ok though. If I can time it right, and saying it wakes up, I'm going to try and get it into a smaller nursery can.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 22
Top Bottom