American-Made Formal Pots

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It seems most American potters make rough, stylized pots, similar in philosophy to the Japanese wabi-sabi pots. Are there any American potters you know who specialize in the clean, formal lines of your typical Yixing and Tokoname pots? Especially the fancier pots, ones with cloud feet, etc.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Tom438

Seed
Reaction score
I made a few, but I couldn’t sell them for a price that made it worth continuing. The rough and stylized pots sell better, so the potters make more of them. I have seen enough people bemoaning the lack of American made rectangles to the point that I am considering trying again though. Just need to get better or find a faster method to make it more economical.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Chuck Iker, John Menzel, Roy Minarai off the top of my head.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I made a few, but I couldn’t sell them for a price that made it worth continuing. The rough and stylized pots sell better, so the potters make more of them. I have seen enough people bemoaning the lack of American made rectangles to the point that I am considering trying again though. Just need to get better or find a faster method to make it more economical.
I watch the other people at my studio on the wheel do 20 mugs and I just have my slabs rolled and cut out for one pot.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I watch the other people at my studio on the wheel do 20 mugs and I just have my slabs rolled and cut out for one pot.
It's hard to believe how much time goes into making a nice pot. The small mame pots I've been making take quite a bit of time to make. With such little clay one mistake can destroy the form of the pot. Sometimes it takes me a couple tries to make one pot that I can pull off the wheel.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have more Sara Rayner pots than those of any other potter. She has been making bonsai pots for over 25 years now. I remember seeing some of her early work in the 1990s at a couple of the Midwest Bonsai Conventions, and was not impressed. But she got much... much... much better. I have sent her a few emails of praise over the years and she laughs about her earlier work. Believe it or not she says some people collect her earlier pieces as "developmental" pieces. To me, she is absolutely a pro - consistent at what she does, high quality, creative while still understanding the pot has to compliment a tree.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have more Sara Rayner pots than those of any other potter. She has been making bonsai pots for over 25 years now. I remember seeing some of her early work in the 1990s at a couple of the Midwest Bonsai Conventions, and was not impressed. But she got much... much... much better. I have sent her a few emails of praise over the years and she laughs about her earlier work. Believe it or not she says some people collect her earlier pieces as "developmental" pieces. To me, she is absolutely a pro - consistent at what she does, high quality, creative while still understanding the pot has to compliment a tree.
Agreed, I only have two of her pots purchased at the Artisans Cup. Quality is high and very complimentary for the Mountain hemlock residents. Love her understated colour and texture! Particularly in her oval pots.

Top Bottom