American pine

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Personally, I'd like to know who wants you to remove that branch!

Stand and be counted. Aye! Cut thar branch off! (in due time of course, as a recent repotting tells us that you should leave it in full sun, fertilize and water like a mad man for the rest of the year and then mess with it next year)

Ok. First, I try to talk like a real pirate, but it never seems to happen. Second, I believe that the left/main/heavy branch should be removed. It will add a little direction, movement, taper and flair to this tree. I also think that once ramification can be obtained, in 2-5 years, there will be too much foliage with this branch and it will end up being removed anyway. Third, I have a similar style ponderosa and am going through the same thought process - and will probably do exactly as I recommend here, so I do have a dog in this fight. Finally, here is a tree that should be used as inspiration. Not the same, but the idea of an elegant literati trunk and a neat, compact and directional foliage pad does have merit. http://walter-pall.de/sylvestris1.htm

Edit: You posted a modified picture at IBC. It appears the bend was brought in and the foliage pad was raised. What is the current situation with the tree, and please stop messing with it!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also think that once ramification can be obtained, in 2-5 years, there will be too much foliage with this branch and it will end up being removed anyway.

Finally, here is a tree that should be used as inspiration. Not the same, but the idea of an elegant literati trunk and a neat, compact and directional foliage pad does have merit. http://walter-pall.de/sylvestris1.htm

Edit: You posted a modified picture at IBC. It appears the bend was brought in and the foliage pad was raised. What is the current situation with the tree, and please stop messing with it!

I think that in 2-5 years, you may decide one way or the other, but I wouldn't remove it until then. Remember that I say so, not having seen the tree! I like the referenced tree, but don't think I follow your edit: are you referring to me? or does that refer to Walter?

BonsaiWes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You posted a modified picture at IBC. It appears the bend was brought in and the foliage pad was raised. What is the current situation with the tree, and please stop messing with it![/QUOTE]

Hi,

Yes I wired it last year in the same manner, redoing the wire again as the tree walked off too much of the effort. It isn't going to stay in the wired position, that would take 20 years, the plan is to keep the long section from being stright as a rod as it was when I first started with the tree. This is year 2 of the tree, prior to my work nothing was really done with it for 3 years. To date and starting from April 2006 I have trimmed needles last summer start, then in fall wired it. Then late winter did a light repot so I could learn the root status. Now in late spring I have wired the tree again, other than that the tree just sits. The wire on the right sided branch cluster is still left on from last fall. I haven't pinched or removed any candles cones or needles.

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi wes,
It's my opinion that if it were mine, I would remove the rafia branch and leave about 2 1/2" spike to be carved in a spiral jin snag.

I just have one other thing to say.....

Attachments

• carved cascade ash2.jpg
    carved cascade ash2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 40
Reaction score
USDA Zone
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Hey, is this a blatant advertisement?;)

BonsaiWes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Hey, is this a blatant advertisement?;)

Naaaah, I have been chewing the fat with Dale about a pot and was promised a pic of a great choice for it..and there it is, I like it:D

BonsaiWes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey KC, I guess your the last to know..this past April I lost at least 80- 90% of my collection. I really don't do trees anymore. I have a few shohins that I mingle with but other than that I have stopped trees untill better times can be had.

Last edited:

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey KC, I guess your the last to know..this past April I lost at least 80- 90% of my collection. I really don't do trees anymore. I have a few shohins that I mingle with but other than that I have stopped trees untill better times can be had.

Count me in with the last to know group. Bummer and sorry. When you are ready to tackle the big stuff again, call on Jason at OB. We'll make sure we treat you right as you rebuild your collection.

Rich

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, Wes, sorry to hear that. What are you looking for in the way of "better times?"

Top Bottom