American Series Scrolls

Reaction score
IMG_6727.JPG IMG_6728.JPG makingscrolls2.jpg
After getting quite a lot of requests from customers for scrolls dealing with more "Native" themes, I decided to try and start up a new line of scrolls that I will be calling "American Series Scrolls". I thought it would be nice if not only the theme of the painting was native in nature, but also that the fabrics that went into the construction of the scroll itself, were that of patterns that represented our culture as well. So, not only will I be doing the painting of the scrolls, but also the construction as well. We will see where this leads, and if there is enough interest in it... Hopefully there will be, cause I think it will open up some new avenues to explore. If nothing else, I think for me at least, it would allow for more representation of what type of message I am personally wanting to convey with my own displays. Thanks!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think there is a big place for this kind of art for North American bonsaiists. I've been looking for ways to do display with a North American spin.

Along with the "megafauna" like bison and the like, think smaller. Japanese scrolls and images are interesting because they can go for smaller wildlife, spiders, crickets, small birds (owls, songbirds are good) reptiles and amphibians, etc. Those kinds of critters tend to make everything a bit more approachable for the viewer. While someone looking at a display knows what a wolf looks like, they've probably actually seen a red fox, coyote, chipmunk or black snake.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Stacy,
I like the idea but have no expertise in this area. My basic understanding is that the subject of the scroll is related to the time of year, i.e. cherry blossoms in spring... etc. So are you looking at it from this angle or something completely different as your examples are specific subjects that don't really relate to a season?
PS maybe north american scrolls (rockm beat me to it) as many of your potential subjects (Canadian geese? Spotted Owl, other migrant birds - eg. humming birds could/would be applicable to us above the 49th.....:rolleyes::D
Cheers Graham

Reaction score
I think there is a big place for this kind of art for North American bonsaiists. I've been looking for ways to do display with a North American spin.

Along with the "megafauna" like bison and the like, think smaller. Japanese scrolls and images are interesting because they can go for smaller wildlife, spiders, crickets, small birds (owls, songbirds are good) reptiles and amphibians, etc. Those kinds of critters tend to make everything a bit more approachable for the viewer. While someone looking at a display knows what a wolf looks like, they've probably actually seen a red fox, coyote, chipmunk or black snake.
Thanks for the reply! I would agree...
For the most part, I pretty much paint just about anything and everything. The main difference with this new concept would be more the exploration into fabrics, and patterns on hand made scrolls. Seeing that most scrolls for use in bonsai originate from one of two places, either Japan or China... and have patterns that match accordingly.
With that said however, If one was to look at my art, it has already for the most part taken this leap, seeing that firstly I am not Asian, and secondly, I am not as concerned with the set rules of what defines a "Bonsai Scroll" as defined by their customs.

A long time ago, Sean Smith saw my work at our Florida convention, and suggested that I start doing some more insects, he said it was pretty much the rage in Japan at the moment... I started doing them, mainly cause I always like doing them anyways... Sadly, however... I should probably see about sending them over to Japan, cause folks here in the states don't really get them. We are still kind of at that jumping off phase, where moons and clouds seem to sell really well. So, I still keep doing them, and instead keep pushing other stuff! Thanks Again!

IMG_5373.JPG IMG_5363.JPG IMG_2661.JPG beaver1.jpg IMG_4949.JPGIMG_6224.JPG

Reaction score
Hi Stacy,
I like the idea but have no expertise in this area. My basic understanding is that the subject of the scroll is related to the time of year, i.e. cherry blossoms in spring... etc. So are you looking at it from this angle or something completely different as your examples are specific subjects that don't really relate to a season?
PS maybe north american scrolls (rockm beat me to it) as many of your potential subjects (Canadian geese? Spotted Owl, other migrant birds - eg. humming birds could/would be applicable to us above the 49th.....:rolleyes::D
Cheers Graham

Thanks for the reply Graham! For me down here in Florida, we don't really have seasons... So, for me I never really paid much attention to them when designing a display. For me it has always been more about setting the scene of where one might imagine one's tree to be, and trying to help portray this setting to the observer viewing the tree. So, if one has a woodland tree or a forest planting, one might go with an animal that one would typically see within the forest... like a fox.

I have done quite a few hummingbirds and migrant birds, for some reason I can't find them?
Would you settle for a bear with a waterfall and fish? Oh and here is Rockm's Buffalo.
bear2.jpg american buffalo1.jpg

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely. I like all of them. The Blue Jay and Mockingbird? in particular

Top Bottom