American Shohin Society?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is this organization dead / gone? Their web site appears to have been taken over. I'm about to pull down the link unless someone tells me otherwise.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It has started and sputtered to a halt several times. I haven't heard from any of its members or officers for a long time. It's a shame. The British Shohin Assn. is a marvelous organization and I'd hoped we could get something going over here. We Yanks are too %^%$# obsessed with SIZE!

If you can contact John Romano who was active in its formation he could give you more. I no longer have his e-mail, but he does a shohin column in every issue of Bill Valavanis' International Bonsai Magazine so you probably could get in touch with him through wnv@internationalbonsai.com.

Reaction score
I'm here. You can PM me if you want my email.
Shohin bonsai is alive and well in the US ! But, unfortunately, the society (in its initial form and also in its 2nd iteration) folded. I was involved in the first formation and there were problems that influenced its demise - that I don't want to rehash here. We have a small shohin bonsai study group in the southern New England area and, as Jim said, I write a regular column for International Bonsai on Shohin bonsai. Due to the size of the US, I would think that maybe more regional shohin bonsai study groups or associations would seem to be more workable and practical.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As much as I wold love to see the formation of more bonsai societies, I am not surprised at all, that the Shohin Bonsai Society didn't make it. There are always particular reasons for it, and it's always about personal likes and dislikes, clashes of personalities, etc. But at the end, there is no real reason for a shohin bonsai society, if there already is a bonsai society. There is nothing that a shohin society can do, that a bonsai society is not already doing. And a shohin society has the distinct disadvantage of being restricted to one category of trees, while a regular bonsai society has no such limitations. If a bonsai society has funding issues, then a shohin society has those issues magnified, since most people will be reluctant to sponsor two groups that are mostly redundant.

The only way that I can see a bona fide shohin society emerge, is through the existence of a commercial venture. This could be a virtual marke place with a database of high-quality shohin bonsai available for sale, combined with a website run by persons who are financially vested in it. It could come with membership privileges and a 10-15% discount on purchases by members, who would pay an annual fee.
I can see why an enterprise similar to the above, could be viable. But a shohin society for purely altruistic reasons, run by volunteers, is just not feasible. People just don't have enough time and resources, and there is little incentive. But it all changes when people are given generous incentives.
There is one advantage that shohin bonsai have: they are easily transportable. Safety of transportation is vastly superior, when compared to larger bonsai. So, people are much more willing to move them around and exhibit them.

I think the bonsai community should do much more, with regards to exhibiting these little trees. Due to the more informal nature a shohin bonsai, we could be more creative in finding ways to show them. Not just using the traditional shohin stand, which can cost an arm and a leg, besides being almost impossible to find one. Here in So. California, shohin is vastly under-used in exhibits. One can see hundreds of high quality bonsai exhibited in any given year, while the number of shohin bonsai that is shown is only a fraction of that. I think the main reason for this, is that creating a shohin exhibit with those shohin stands, is just too much hassle. There should be more simple ways to show these little master-pieces.

P.S.: I've been playing with one idea, regarding the way these trees could be exhibited very successfully, without the use of shohin stand. It would allow infinite flexibility, while retaining the use of visual flow, balance, and visual movement. It could also be used for slightly larger trees, such as chuhin size. I don't want to give it away here, but I promise that I will post an example in the not-so-distant future. Here is a hint though: think of the popular game LEGO. Lego and shohin bonsai. They would make a great combination. The idea came from my young son, who loves Lego.

Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
But then, the California Shohin Society is, or so I've heard, a very successful group and has an annual and well-attended seminar. There's also a Southern California Shohin Society and (I think) a Bay Area Shohin Society.

I, personally, get easily bored with endless rows of 2- to 3- to 4-foot bonsai at most venues I've attended across this country. One twisty juniper in a brown pot is much like another twisty juniper in a brown pot after a while.

Shohin and mame, on the other hand, is a much freer art -- both as to the trees themselves and as to the pots they're planted in, and yes, the stands they're displayed on.

Attachments

• 4-12d.JPG
    4-12d.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 2010_001.JPG
    2010_001.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 37

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
But then, the California Shohin Society is, or so I've heard, a very successful group and has an annual and well-attended seminar. There's also a Southern California Shohin Society and (I think) a Bay Area Shohin Society.

I, personally, get easily bored with endless rows of 2- to 3- to 4-foot bonsai at most venues I've attended across this country. One twisty juniper in a brown pot is much like another twisty juniper in a brown pot after a while.

Shohin and mame, on the other hand, is a much freer art -- both as to the trees themselves and as to the pots they're planted in, and yes, the stands they're displayed on.

Wow, only 2 out of those 6 trees are twisty junipers in a brown pot.

Shohin is definitely an art, nowhere to hide any horticultural or stylistic shortcomings.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But then, the California Shohin Society is, or so I've heard, a very successful group and has an annual and well-attended seminar.

That's true. And the reason for its success is the Annual Shohin Convention. This convention IS the society. Without it, there wouldn't be much. I am sure that Al will chime in here, giving us some valuable insights regarding the California society and the key to its success.

As I said earlier, there must be some special incentive that keeps such an enterprise going, year after year. A national society would be hard pressed to find such an incentive, due to the geography of this country.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

A month ago I was talking to Peter Makasieb and his shohin display. He just bought a shohin stand that cost him around one thousand dollars. How many of us are willing to pay several thousands of dollars for a few shohin stands?
Wouldn't be nice if we could display those trees, using props readily available? The traditional shohin stand is always nice, but it should be optional, instead of being obligatory.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Shohin is definitely an art, nowhere to hide any horticultural or stylistic shortcomings.

Very true. Of course it doesn't take much in the way of "horticultural shortcomings" to NOT have a shohin any more. As for "stylistic shortcomings," the smaller the tree, the more difficult it gets.

As far as stands go, I have a few. Two of them are pictured above. None cost even close to $1,000. But I've never seen a show where the sponsors insisted that traditional Japanese display "rules" be followed. Sometimes I think it is a serious lack of imagination that leads to all those "traditional" looks -- attractive as they may be.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's true. And the reason for its success is the Annual Shohin Convention. This convention IS the society. Without it, there wouldn't be much. I am sure that Al will chime in here, giving us some valuable insights regarding the California society and the key to its success.

As I said earlier, there must be some special incentive that keeps such an enterprise going, year after year. A national society would be hard pressed to find such an incentive, due to the geography of this country.

The Cal. Shohin Society while a fairly large group of participants, are sacttered all around the state and have no real participatory function. While in the past some masters have come to town, they are still handled within the member clubs of GSBF.

The Shohin seminar, which meets every other year is actually a fund raising promotion and is not really billed as a place to come and learn the intricacies of shohin bonsai.

The workshop leaders donate their time and are not payed a teacher stipend to teach. Each leader is reimbursed for his or her material, which is the price of the workshop and the expenses are paid and the profit is divided equally between the Northern collection and the Southern collection. A small reserve is kept to fund the next years venue, which is replenished each year.

The mammoth bazzar in the north and the Bonsaiathon in the south are each done in the same manner except yearly, on the same weekend, with program chairs being on a donation basis and the expensis paid and the profit divided among the respective collections.

Takes alot of money to keep up large collections of trees. TIME TOO!

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OH I almost forgot, the purpose obviously is to raise money for the collections, but the seminar could not happen in the way it does without the low cost of the event. For instance, since there are no teacher salary to pay, the cost of a workshop is the cost of the material. For my workshop a person got a trident maple that had a one inch trunk, was about 7 inches tall, had many branches, trunk movement and you got my expertise for 4 hours for $40.00.

The class was sold out, as well as all the others. The cost of the convention is cheap because with the exception of the first seminar which was actually held in Fresno, it has been at the Mission De Oro in Santa Nella CA. Otherwise known as BFE. ask somebody.....

The meals are OK, nothing to write home about, the motel....oh the Motel. Take your shower for the eve, by 4PM or you will not get hot water. If you are on a lower tier and the guy above takes a shower, if you stand under his shower you can get yours in too! The stories from seminar to seminar are the best part of Friday night at the meet and greet.

Peeling paint, no handles on the faucets, carpets stink, but hey! this place is cheap and it sells out every time. It is just fun and a hoot and the teachers are the best in the country and the material is always a cut above and the workshops are kept so cheap that this is a nobrainer as far as a money making experience. While you will see world class shohin on display at the event, you will not see them displayed very world class. This Motel does not offer the museum experience, but most have no problem looking over that part of it.

There ya go.....

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just had a thought after reading this thread and had to return to comment on it. Perhaps the reason the American Shohin Society has failed twice now may just be due to the name, or more accurately the initials that would be the abbreviation for the group. I could see the hats and T-shirts for sale A.S.S. , perhaps a catchy slogan on a shirt or hat like Got A.S.S. might have helped. It would seem that the website would have been swamped, www.A.S.S..com :)

ed

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ASS - sounds like a good place to start, as far as marketing is concerned. It may just be my dirty imagination, but there are all kinds of possibilities, when it comes to advertising.

Top Bottom