American Sycamore #1

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Starting a specific thread to document this tree. I've posted it in other combination posts- please ignore. This tree has survived two years post collection, so I feel comfortable with logging ongoing styling. This thread will serve as an ongoing journal, as well as for input.

I know that American sycamore make very poor bonsai, due to leaf size and large internodes. That being said, I accidentally collected this tree, thinking it was another species. I'm going to try to grow this out for winter display only. The overall height right now is approximately 6 feet.

IMG_7289.JPGIMG_7290.JPG

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This spring, I will wire the branches, cut them back aggressively, and pot in an Anderson flat.

DSC_2344.JPGDSC_2345.JPG

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You understand the issues with a Sycamore. I would not "waste" an Anderson flat on it, but if you have a spare flat, good luck with your experiment.
I do completely. I have a bunch of flats, and I'd like it to be a little more portable. Given the dinner plate size of leaves and the long internodes, this is just a "for fun" tree, hardy at that, that can withstand some drastic assaults

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
How tall are you ultimately planning to grow that tree?
Probably 6 foot. It’s almost there now. And it’s more for the eventual bark and branching/silhouette, given the leaf size. I’ll never get the leaves in proportion

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Will be interesting to see how small you can get the leaves with refinement techniques when the time comes.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Probably 6 foot. It’s almost there now. And it’s more for the eventual bark and branching/silhouette, given the leaf size. I’ll never get the leaves in proportion

Mine grew eight feet just last year, after I dug it up from the field and chopped off all the feeder roots. These trees are bulletproof, but their leaves are HUGE.

Top Bottom