America's First National Bonsai Exhibition

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
What about the different state restrictions?
Irene

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
A couple of things that pop to mind about the comments, are that we really don't know who is going to go from where( hopefully all areas will be represented) so lets not talk ourselves into a bleak outlook, a year away from the event. Second is in many cases it's not much(if any) more expensive to fly to "a central location" then to others, so check well before ruling it out, because it's too far away. I think serious enthusiasts with trees fitting for this exhibition will find a way to be part of it.

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A couple of things that pop to mind about the comments, are that we really don't know who is going to go from where( hopefully all areas will be represented) so lets not talk ourselves into a bleak outlook, a year away from the event. Second is in many cases it's not much(if any) more expensive to fly to "a central location" then to others, so check well before ruling it out, because it's too far away. I think serious enthusiasts with trees fitting for this exhibition will find a way to be part of it.

I agree with Bill that we need to let Mr. V have a go at this before we make any negative critiques. With the group that is involved in organizing the event, I have no doubt that they will make it successful on a regional scale - and with positive effort from everyone around the country on a national scale.

And, yes, I do hope the venue rotates around the country to better include some curmudgeons that won't travel great distances...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all.....

Tired......

Bill and I spoke for a time to the exhibit as well as coming to our shohin convention meeting this morning to let us know how well he did. Participation was well below the California Shohin convention. This year we are limiting the convention to 275 registrations. Last year it was 250 and many people are turned away from registering. The New York event had about 170 registrants. Our venue is small, yet moving to a larger venue would diminish much of the charm and appeal of this event.

California will be represented as well as many states in the west during the National exhibit. I feel confident about that. The problem is one of economics. Even in our State convention the best trees from the state are not always represented in the exhibit of the convention. Politics, economics and family obligations make it impossible for this to be a truely national exhibit. I asked Bill about moving it regionally and he seems opposed to this idea due to losing control of the operation of the event. I agree with that sentiment.

All I can say is that to see the best trees the US has to offer, pack your bags and come to a Bay Island exhibit, or REBs, throw in the Shohin convention and a GSBF convention on a good year.

When we can get the best trees from those venues to a National Exhibit, we will have something to compare to Europe or maybe even Japan!

Cheers Al

Last edited:

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So Al, got some details on that California Shohin Convention, can you point me to a website or something.

Cheers
Ian

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No website, almost invitation only.
Feb. 1,2,3.

Cheers, Al

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Politics, economics and family obligations make it impossible for this to be a truely national exhibit.

The exact same argument can be made about the great European or Japanese shows, not everyone can participate in every show due to the reasons you gave, yet the shows are still considered to be the best in the world.

Was every great bonsai represented in the recent Gingko Awards? Absolutely not...did that devalue the show? Absolutely not.

To say that because some trees are not entered the contest or exhibit is invalid is just as silly as saying that Tiger Woods record is invalid because there are better golfers out there, they just don't compete.

Will

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
All I can say is that to see the best trees the US has to offer, pack your bags and come to a Bay Island exhibit, or REBs, throw in the Shohin convention and a GSBF convention on a good year.

When we can get the best trees from those venues to a National Exhibit, we will have something to compare to Europe or maybe even Japan!

Cheers Al

Well, put Al. I can agree that some of the finest trees in the United States are indeed in California.

I caught Bill over the weekend as well and asked for some more detail about the show. He really wanted me to check out the web site (and I will) but I pushed for a clarification. I read here "Provisions for financial support and transportation from long distances [California, Pacific West Coast, Texas and Florida] have been established." He pointed out the $10,000 in prizes. I will check out the site and see if this information is detailed but in my mind a chance at a prize is not the same as a sponsorship or support.

I do plan to attend and perhaps make a contribution directed at an individual in need of help with transportation expenses. My thought is that if people step up as sponsors people that can't afford to bring great bonsai to this event can have a chance.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well said Graydon.

We must remember that the show is a year away and it is under very experienced management, I am sure the show will be all we hope it will.

Financial support will help a lot, but even just transporting any accepted trees for those who can not go will help.

The web page for the show can be viewed here and I understand this will be updated as changes are made.

Will

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
Reading this thread is very interesting. The multitude of road blocks and excuses and pointless suggestions. Here's a thought. If you have one Bonsai that you feel is exceptional, submit it for consideration. If it is accepted, you have a year to make plans to attend with your Bonsai and be a small part of a historic event. If you can not attend but want to exhibit your tree, it will happen. If you just love Bonsai, make plans to attend, it will be the greatest collection of American Bonsai ever assembled. If you know someone who has an exceptional Bonsai that is "unknown", encourage them to submit their Bonsai. My guess is there will be many "unknown" but fantastic works of Art from all corners of the country.
For those that just want to p*ss and moan, why don't you just post a photo of the tree you just can not, will not,do not want to submit and let us see these masterpieces. My guess is you would have another excuse. We have no shortage of Internet Bonsai experts.
There is great reason to be excited by this event and I applaud those that are thinking of ways and doing things to help make this National Exhibition a success.

Mark

JJR

Seedling
Reaction score
For the 3+ years that I have been studing bonsai I have seen quite a bit written about the lack of a large scale show here in the US. Now that someone is doing something about it and putting together a show that has been talked about for a long time people complain. Amazing!!

If you can't make the event, and still want to contribute, I'm sure Bill would not turn down a little financial help with the show. Many people who study bonsai here in the US will not have trees in the show, but that does not mean that it is not worth the trip to study those trees that are displayed. Instead of complaining find a way to support this historic event.

Jon

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mark, Jon,

Words well spoken.

You are both assets to the community and it could use more like you.

I am one person who is very excited about this exhibit and also one whose trees are not of the quality to be exhibited, but never-the-less, I have pledged my full support. America needs this show, I am proud that it is finally getting it.

Will

Last edited:

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Now that someone is doing something about it and putting together a show that has been talked about for a long time people complain. Amazing!!

Who is complaining? This thread is full of positive feelings about it. Perhaps a little speculation if all will be able to get involved. Which is natural considering the logistics. That alone is positive as people want to enter or attend. If people don't gush over this in the early stages don't take that as something negative. When multiple people give input on the initial design of a tree that is perceived as a positive thing. However take away the tree and put something else in its place and the perception is that people are being negative.

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For the 3+ years that I have been studing bonsai I have seen quite a bit written about the lack of a large scale show here in the US. Now that someone is doing something about it and putting together a show that has been talked about for a long time people complain. Amazing!!

If you can't make the event, and still want to contribute, I'm sure Bill would not turn down a little financial help with the show. Many people who study bonsai here in the US will not have trees in the show, but that does not mean that it is not worth the trip to study those trees that are displayed. Instead of complaining find a way to support this historic event.

Jon

Easy to say from someone living in New York. If it were turned around and say Ted Matson was organizing the same event in California. Would you go? Would you actually spend the amount of money on lodging and travel to see a bonsai exhibit? Not a convention, but an exhibit.

I travel the entire state of California yearly to see about 10 exhibits a year. I used to see about 20 a year but with the price of fuel I have scaled back some. California is not a small state. I travel well over 550 miles round trip to see the REBS exhibit each year. I am at the venue for about three hours and then drive down and finish the day in San Francisco.

Maybe we need some input from Graydon who just visited California from Florida and maybe he could give us some insight into what a trip like that might cost.

For the average enthusiast, spending a families entire vacation budget on a bonsai exhibit is pretty much out of the question for the average Joe.

In California if I elect to not attend the GSBF convention it is because I did not wish to attend. This "National Exhibit" may be open to the nation, but only those with the financial means can attend. It is not truely national since those with out means cannot attend. That is not a choice, so therefore not really national.

If we did it in California do you think it would be a really fair representation of the best bonsai from the East? I don't think so. Sure we could call it a national exhibit but we would only be kidding ourselves.

Mind you I'm not complaining, I'm just frustrated.

Coincidently, Bill just had his first Shohin symposium on the right coast. He was tired of California having all the fun with Shohin for the last 20 years. Obviously, Bill saw the need for something on the other side of the nation. Just a thought;)

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Maybe we need some input from Graydon who just visited California from Florida and maybe he could give us some insight into what a trip like that might cost.

About 2 1/2 weeks including airfare, hotel, rental car, fuel, food and sundries = $4,000 - $4,500 not including any purchases and shipping back to Florida. That's estimated. I am afraid to actually add it up. I leave stuff like that to my accountant as I really don't care as long as I can get a write off out of the trip.

For this Exhibition in discussion trip I am planning a budget of $2,000 - $2,500 because I will arrive early or stay late to see some new places and meet some people.

Not too many folks will have that kind of bread to drop for this event unless of course they have a tree in the show and have disposable income to match.

I'm still pondering this event but at this point it is on my calendar.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Al,
I am not tired of California having a Shohin Bonsai Convention for 20 years. In fact, I have lectured and conducted two workshops at all of the conventions, except the first one.

My Shohin Bonsai Symposium was organized to allow those who could not travel across the country to have a place to share their interest and learn about shohin bonsai. My Shohin Bonsai Symposium is a bit different than the California convention. Also, our event is held every other year, on the years that the California Shohin Convention is not held. Therefore if one is really interested in shohin bonsai they will have sometplace to go every year. We even had a few people from California attend this year's Shohin Bonsai Symposium.

As far as the National Bonsai Exhibition goes, financial and agricultural arrangements have been made to help people in Texas, Florida, southern California, northern California and the Pacific Northwest to safely transport your bonsai to and from Rochester for this event. All one has to do is to submit a photo for the selection process. You will then be contacted to work out the details. The owner of the bonsai does not have to be present to be eligible to win one of the seven awards totaling over $10,000.

Sure, some cannot afford to atten the National Bonsai Exhibition from far distances. In fact, some people from 60 miles will find it too far of a distance. It all depends on how dedicated you are and how much you want to attend. I'm hoping those who can travel will take a few additional bonsai with them.

Unfortunately, one cannot please anyone, and I'm not even trying to. This is a very large country with fine bonsai throughout the land and I'm making a venue and exhibition available to display some of the finest bonsai we have. If one does not have a bonsai to display or unfortunately does not pass the selection process, they are still welcome to join us to see the bonsai artistically displayed, watch two top demonstrators, visit the sales area and join in the enthusiasm at the award banquet when the results will be announced and the cash is presented.

You can visit our web site at: www.internationalbonsai.com
for more information, just press the National Exhibition button.

Bill

I have already received photos for the submission process from bonsai artists in Puerto Rico, Canada (?), North Carolina and Florida. A few more which I can't easily remember.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
....financial and agricultural arrangements have been made to help people in Texas, Florida, southern California, northern California and the Pacific Northwest to safely transport your bonsai to and from Rochester for this event. ....I have already received photos for the submission process from bonsai artists in Puerto Rico, Canada (?), North Carolina and Florida...

I would say that is pretty National, alright.

Will

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
Here are some actual figures for those who are really interested in attending.

Weekend Pass $20
Hotel (in walking distance) $69 per night
Award Celebration & Banquet $25

Air(roundtrip) from LA aprox. $350

Chance to study and enjoy Bonsai at the FIRST NATIONAL EXHIBITION... PRICELESS !!!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al,
I am not tired of California having a Shohin Bonsai Convention for 20 years. In fact, I have lectured and conducted two workshops at all of the conventions, except the first one.

Yea.. Bill actually you did. I remember distictly you talking about you guys being tired of California having all the fun in the laid back atmosphere of the bi-annual shohin convention. You told me that you were going to be working on something for back east, and you did.

Good luck Bill, Al

PS, maybe we could work out that photo contest idea that we talked about at dinner?

Top Bottom