America's First National Bonsai Exhibition

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Here are some actual figures for those who are really interested in attending.

Weekend Pass $20
Hotel (in walking distance) $69 per night
Award Celebration & Banquet $25

Air(roundtrip) from LA aprox. $350

Chance to study and enjoy Bonsai at the FIRST NATIONAL EXHIBITION... PRICELESS !!!

So what exactly are you saying Mark? That my figures about attending the GSBF were not realistic? Do you want to see them? Way to get me off to a bad start on a day. Thanks. Once I chill out I'll post and tell you what your show will actually cost. I can't do it now as I have to go to work so I can earn money to save and attend events.

Unless you are posting elsewhere on this forum about other bonsai things please stop only posting here about this event. I don't want to BN to simply be your advertising post place. That's not policy but in my opinion it should be.

Oh - just because it's called a "National Exhibit" doesn't make it one. A true National Exhibit is based on reading the place cards by the trees. All regions of this country are well represented. It could also be called National based on a look at the attendance of the patrons. I would love to see a slice of the demographic on attendance as well.

So excuse me know while I go work so I can save up for the GSBF next year.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
So what exactly are you saying Mark? That my figures about attending the GSBF were not realistic? Do you want to see them? Way to get me off to a bad start on a day. Thanks. Once I chill out I'll post and tell you what your show will actually cost. I can't do it now as I have to go to work so I can earn money to save and attend events.

Unless you are posting elsewhere on this forum about other bonsai things please stop only posting here about this event. I don't want to BN to simply be your advertising post place. That's not policy but in my opinion it should be.

Oh - just because it's called a "National Exhibit" doesn't make it one. A true National Exhibit is based on reading the place cards by the trees. All regions of this country are well represented. It could also be called National based on a look at the attendance of the patrons. I would love to see a slice of the demographic on attendance as well.

So excuse me know while I go work so I can save up for the GSBF next year.

Wow, Graydon, this is a side of you I have never seen, I think you took Mark's post in the wrong way, at least according to the way I read it.

I do not believe he was referring to the GSBF or your expenses going there, I think he was estimating the cost of traveling from LA to the National Show in New York...

Weekend Pass $20
Hotel (in walking distance) $69 per night
Award Celebration & Banquet $25

Air(roundtrip) from LA aprox. $350

HE did not include a 2 1/2 week stay, I doubt many people stayed that long even at the GSBF, you no doubt, are an exception. He also did not factor in meals, entertainment, rental car, fuel, or purchases at the exhibit. I think it is safe to say that a person could fly out from LA, stay for two nights within walking distance of the exhibit, eat, and make a couple minor purchases for under $1000.00, if they shopped airline tickets wisely.

I'll have to disagree with your thoughts that just because it is called a "National Exhibit" doesn't make it one. What more could you want for qualifiers? Would it only be a "National Exhibit" if it was held in California?

Anybody, anywhere in the states have the opportunity to have a bonsai at this exhibit, Bill has even arranged financial and agricultural arrangements to help people in Texas, Florida, southern California, northern California and the Pacific Northwest to safely transport their bonsai to and from Rochester for this event. I myself have offered to transport bonsai from Michigan or any place in route to Rochester for this exhibit, I am positive others will do the same from all over the country.

If people choose not to take advantage of these opportunities, it certainly does not disqualify the show as a National Exhibit" any more than claiming that the Gingko awards is meaningless because a few bonsai were not shown from artists in a out of the way country who complained that it was too difficult to travel there.

All regions of this country will be well represented if they choose to be, the opportunity for them to be is there, help has been offered, if they choose not to take advantage of it, it will not invalidate the exhibit at all. To say that because they are not there even though they have the opportunity to be there invalidates the show is akin to saying Tiger Woods is undeserving of his titles because there are better golfers out there, they just don't bother to show up.

Lastly, why jump on Mark for posting in this thread? He did not start the thread, he came in later and has remained on topic, which is the National Exhibit. I don't see his posts as advertising but instead on presenting his personal view on the exhibit. This is, after all, the "Exhibits & Outings" section of the forum, designed especially for discussions such as this. Could it be that a lurker was moved to join because of this discussion? If so, do we really want to shoot him down?

I have done far more advertising here for the national Exhibit than Mark has and I would ask any who challenged it what is wrong? Is not the first National Exhibit worthy of being promoted? Shouldn't the entire bonsai community be made aware of this historic event? Should it not be put up for discussion? Should we not all support it?

What is the harm?

Will

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
I am very straight forward, you do not have to read between the lines. I stated some factual information that so people who are interested would have it for their planning.
Your trip to GSBF sounds great and I said nothing about your figures. That got you "off to a bad start" ?
I just joined this forum and I did not start this thread, but was compelled to answer and will til I'm dead. A little more of my so called humor. You did not seem to appreciate it in my last thread so that will probably really not make you happy. Sorry. This is my advice to you, take your own advice and "CHILL".
You seem to want to discourage interest in this event. That means you have a negative agenda. I think that is a shame. I am amazed at how nasty and petty your last few sentences are.
If you do not want to attend thats fine, but why continue to comment about something you have no interest in?
I hope you find peace.
Best Regards,
Mark

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Mark, out of curiosity what part of the country are you from. You profile makes no suggestion and by the way wlcome to the nut house.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think Graydon is experiencing "GSBF withdrawal" (it happens to all who visit California), which makes him cranky in the morning. Otherwise, he is a cool guy, this must be a misunderstanding.

JJR

Seedling
Reaction score
Easy to say from someone living in New York. If it were turned around and say Ted Matson was organizing the same event in California. Would you go? Would you actually spend the amount of money on lodging and travel to see a bonsai exhibit? Not a convention, but an exhibit.

Well, considering I went to Japan, from NY, to go to an exhibit.... I think that I would travel somewhere in the US as well.

Honestly, how many people in Eurpoe enjoy bonsai that do not go to Ginko or how many Japanese do not go to the Kokufu show?? Does that make these shows irrelevant? Hardly. Not everyone is going to be able to attend, that's just reality.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
I am very straight forward, you do not have to read between the lines. I stated some factual information that so people who are interested would have it for their planning.
Your trip to GSBF sounds great and I said nothing about your figures. That got you "off to a bad start" ?
I just joined this forum and I did not start this thread, but was compelled to answer and will til I'm dead. A little more of my so called humor. You did not seem to appreciate it in my last thread so that will probably really not make you happy. Sorry. This is my advice to you, take your own advice and "CHILL".
You seem to want to discourage interest in this event. That means you have a negative agenda. I think that is a shame. I am amazed at how nasty and petty your last few sentences are.
If you do not want to attend thats fine, but why continue to comment about something you have no interest in?
I hope you find peace.
Best Regards,
Mark

Let's see...

At no way am I trying to discourage this event. In fact...

I do plan to attend and perhaps make a contribution directed at an individual in need of help with transportation expenses. My thought is that if people step up as sponsors people that can't afford to bring great bonsai to this event can have a chance.

Sounds like I have an interest in this event. I was pretty clear about planning to attend. I would be willing to drop $1,000 to help someone move a tree across the country so that they could exhibit it, especially if that person would be unable to show the tree without the contribution. A person from Florida would be great. I would even be willing to drive the tree to the show if needed. So agenda? Yes I have one. But don't we all have an agenda?

Feel free to take my comments as you wish, same way I take everyone comments here. It's all in the perception isn't it?

No harm Will. After all we are discussing the event correct? I'm not against this event, I simply take issue with posting unrealistic travel expenses. Some of us have never been to Rochester so... is it best to fly in to ROC? How about a rental car from the airport? Then the meals not including the Award Dinner? Please keep in mind I posted my expenses after Al made a comment suggesting I be consulted as to the real expenses of a cross country trip. I really thought Al's post summed up my feeling very well - and I'm not from California but I "get" what he is saying. Are we the only two of that mindset?

I would hope that the standards of this event be on par with the standards of the other National Events around the globe. Those standards are multi faceted. Of course the trees need to be the best. The event needs to the the best. The information about the event needs to be the best. I have nothing but complete confidence that the best man is on the job of organizing this event and Mr. Valavanis is no doubt that person.

So have I been clear enough? I support the show in concept. I plan to attend the show in person. I'm going to spend money while I am there. I would be willing to fund the transportation of someone else's tree if that person has a tree that is spectacular and is accepted but they can't afford to pay the travel expenses. Who knows, perhaps I have more to offer. It's a year away.

Am I having California withdraw? Hell yes. What a great place.

Mark, a belated welcome to BonsaiNut. I'm not looking for a pissing match. I don't have the time to waste on those. Can you do us a favor and fill in your profile? Thanks.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
It should be mentioned that one of the many prizes in the Art of Bonsai Awards that is currently underway includes automatic qualification for entry into the America's first National Bonsai Exhibition and some financial assistance.

So enter a tree in the awards, you just may get some help getting it to America's first National Bonsai Exhibition.

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The following is a message from William Valavanis:

Dear Friends,

The First National Bonsai Exhibition is rapidly approaching and excitement is growing daily around the world to see some of the finest bonsai the United States has to offer to the world.

From the daily inquiries I've been receiving it looks like the First National Bonsai Exhibition might possibly be the most well attended bonsai gathering of the year, perhaps of the decade. To date we have indications that visitors will join us from Japan, China, Australia, South Africa, England, Belgium, Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico. Nearly 300 bonsai have been submitted for the selection process and over 150 have been accepted from the following states: CA, OR, WA, CO, IL, MO, OH, TX, OK, FL, MA, RI, VT, NY, PA, VA, NC, SD, MI, TN, GA, NJ, LA, CT and WI. Many prominent bonsai artists will be attending and entering to receive one of seven awards totaling more than $11,000 which will be distributed at the Award Banquet & Auction.

Attached is some more information on the First National Bonsai Exhibition and how to easily send for admission tickets, weekend passes and Award Banquet & Auction tickets.

I hope to be able to welcome you to Rochester in a few short weeks so you too, can be part of this exciting and historical event. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Bill

(Note: The attachments are too large for the limits set here, those interested can download the attachments at http://artofbonsai.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1377 )

PaulStokes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I can't wait to interact with real people and not these god forsaken internet personalities ;)

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
A number of internet bonsai authorities have expressed the idea that it is nearly or completely impossible for them or their trees to attend this event. They have also encouraged others to adopt this way of thinking. I believe it is probably best if they remain in their realm, to leave might shatter their reality and we would get stuck cleaning up the mess!

Mark

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
A number of internet bonsai authorities have expressed the idea that it is nearly or completely impossible for them or their trees to attend this event. They have also encouraged others to adopt this way of thinking. I believe it is probably best if they remain in their realm, to leave might shatter their reality and we would get stuck cleaning up the mess!

Mark

Just to note on the side of possibly misreading this, Bill went to great trouble to make sure that trees worthy of the show could be in attendance. So not as impossible as it might have been put out.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's correct Bill,

Arrangements have always been there for safe transport of trees to this event from all over the country.

Will

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
Guys,
This is going to be more fun than we can imagine! Those that have supported and encouraged this event will be rewarded. Bonsai artists and lovers are coming from all over the country and all over the globe. The Bonsai will represent all areas of the country. There will be tiny jewels and hulking forest giants. This is Bill Valavanis's vision and a dream come true for those fortunate enough to attend. I look forward to meeting everyone and basking in the glow of Bonsai passion expressed!

Best Regards,
Mark

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Based on what I have heard from the organizers of this event, this will, without a doubt, be the biggest and most recognized bonsai event ever held in this country. Besides being historical, the National Bonsai Exhibition will finally provide America with a venue of the quality of the great Japanese and European Exhibits.

I will be there and I look forward to meeting not only the few hundred Internet bonsaists, but also those many who practice bonsai who do not frequent the forums.

I also encourage those who are going to try and arrange ride sharing to help make the trip available to all. With that in mind, I will be traveling from southeast Michigan, leaving early Friday morning and returning Sunday night. I have room for one or two riders and luggage. My travel route will be though Canada and the drive time will be six hours. Any individuals who are thinking about going and can meet me in southeastern Michigan (Detroit area) or that are close to the route, can email me to arrange ride sharing.

Will

cubbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
do you know if it is necessary to purchase advance tickets, or can you buy admission at the door? there won't be any chance of being turned away if i don't have advance tickets, will there? I am travelling from Florida to see this!!!

Also, I heard that cameras will not be allowed inside. Is that true?

Top Bottom