America's First National Bonsai Exhibition

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Advance tickets are not necessary for attending the First National Bonsai Exhibition. Daily passes at the door are $15. A weekend pass, purchased by October 1st is only $20.

Yes, cameras are not allowed in the exhibition room, they must be checked at the door or left in your car. Cameras are allowed in the demonstration room and at the Award Banquet and Auction on Saturday evening.

A full color, 192 hardover commemorative album will be published this winter and the retail price is $65, plus $5 shipping. The pre-publication price is only $50 postpaid.

Hope to see you at this exciting event!
Bill

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Finally, the weekend is upon us!

I have talked to many who are attending this event and I am looking forward to meeting many whom I have only read words from before.

What Bnutters are going?

Will

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
PLEASE take photos of things you can take photos of... I can't make it, but want to see as much as possible!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
You got it!

We have a table there as organization sponsors, so we will be taking a load of pictures to show upon our return. We are also writing a review of the show and I think we will have a few surprises as well.

Will

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This all sounds quite exiting to me. I wish I could be there. I am very happy about this great development. Since ten years or so I heard this subject of an all-American bonsai exhibit being discussed. Folks were quick in saying how desirable this would be but how impossible at the same time. Now finally the dream comes true. I am sure that this is THE major milestone in the development of American bonsai. Everybody must support this as far as possible so that it is also a financial success. An artistic sucdess it will be without doubt. This will be the first one of a long row.
If at all possible one must go there. In hindsight it will be like 'I was there at Woodstock!'

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree Walter, this is indeed a historic event and there will never be another "first" in America like this one.

You'll be missed there.

Will

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
So what's the deal with the no photo policy? Moments like this are meant for sharing. Kodak moments per se. Yes - I understand the full color coffee table book will be published sometime after the conclusion of the event.

In general I understand no camera policies as I am (for the most part) barred from bringing a camera to my projects and not allowed to take photos of my own work until it has aired. The only exception is to document how I have done something. The catch to all of this is that I am done and gone way before it ever airs. Most of the time my work is long gone by then as well.

Just asking...

To everyone attending - enjoy yourself! Meet people, observe and discuss everything. Take notes and post them here. Oh - please buy stuff. Support the vendors who are burdened with the expense during this economy to travel to the show. I know some of you have laptops - I expect some updates over the weekend!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are photos allowed at the banquet and in the reception area, just not in the display area. This is not different from other major events, such as the Ginkgo. The reason is that such events must cover expenses at least to continue, events that lose money seldom survive. One of the ways to create revenue is by publishing a high quality book of the bonsai, displays, and such. Such a book captures the exhibit and showcases the trees, while raising revenue. People from around the world can learn and be inspired from such books and they have proved to be a item that people will buy. Not only do they offer much, but it gives a return for a persons investment in the continued success of the exhibit.

However, why buy the cow if you get the milk for free? If any Tom, Dick, or Harry can photograph in the exhibit,. why would anyone buy the book? The Internet would be swamped with pictures, very few of which would do justice to the event. Not to mention that the whole atmosphere of the exhibit would be ruined with flashes going off, tripods set everywhere, and people posing.

Advance orders for the books are being taken, I plan on ordering mine this weekend. (Yes, even though I am attending, I still want the book)

Will

cubbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
So what's the deal with the no photo policy? Moments like this are meant for sharing. Kodak moments per se. Yes - I understand the full color coffee table book will be published sometime after the conclusion of the event.

In general I understand no camera policies as I am (for the most part) barred from bringing a camera to my projects and not allowed to take photos of my own work until it has aired. The only exception is to document how I have done something. The catch to all of this is that I am done and gone way before it ever airs. Most of the time my work is long gone by then as well.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ at first, I too was quite upset about the no camera rule. but, the more I thought about it, the more I remembered the BSF show (FL), the carolina show, etc. people with cameras had no shame about holding up everyone, waving people around, posing, flashing, and being just plain annoying.

I once took a vacation to Europe with a friend, and he barred all cameras too. In the beginning I went crazy and tried to think how to get around this insanity!!!! a vacation ? No camera?? but you know what, touring Europe that way was a whole new experience. I just LOOKED!!!! and not through the lens of a camera. I can buy postcards and I will buy the book of this show, but for my part I am going to thoroughly enjoy just "absorbing" the trees through only my eyes. my photos would probably not do these specimens justice, will leave that to the professionals. what's in my head is more important than what is in my camera. I can look at the book later!!! and, continue to take photos of my own trees without bothering another soul.....

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Glad you got there alright and I am sad I could not come.

Bunsen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Does anyone know if there will be a 2009 exhibition?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The 2nd U.S. National Bonsai Exhibition will be held on Father's Day Weekend,

June 12-13, 2010

in Rochester, New York.

The 1st U.S. National Bonsai Exhibition was held in October to display the bonsai in autumn coloring and the 2nd U.S. National Bonsai Exhibition will be held in June to display bonsai with summer foliage and Satsuki azaleas.

Everyone is invited to attend and submit their finest bonsai for the selection process. Information will be released this summer.

Bill

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Understanding that bill has experienced some toughtimes, and hoping his family is rebounding well, has anyone heard about when the commerative album will be ready?

-Dave

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I asked Bill via e-mail, and for those who are interested they should be arriving in the states at the end of May.

Top Bottom