Amur Maple Air Layer Seperation progression w/pics

Reaction score
USDA Zone
So here's my first successful air layer this season. (well partially I guess, we'll see if it survives). I only started this layer about 5 weeks ago, I'm astounded at the amount of vigour this species displayed. The rootball was tight and compact.

The piece of wood is screwed to the bottom of the tree, to give it some rigidity from the bottom.

I replanted it in a bed that I have in dappled shade, for recovery, which it will stay in over the winter.

I haven't removed any leaves yet, it seems to me like it should be alright, what do other think? Also, should I be able to repot in the summer.
DSCF5548.JPGDSCF5549.JPGDSCF5550.JPGDSCF5551.JPGDSCF5555.JPGDSCF5556.JPGDSCF5557.JPGDSCF5557.JPGDSCF5558.JPGDSCF5559.JPGDSCF5560.JPGDSCF5561.JPGDSCF5562.JPG

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks great . I For see myself following your example . I purchased 2 Amur cultivar flame this year . To late to repot . Left in 5 gallon nursery pots heavily fertilizer and full sun . Can’t believe how vigorously they grew . I see why there green as bonsai . I think slowing them down in refinement might be the bigger challenge . Great job on the layer very interested in the nebari development on the board .

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you explain your grow bed . The parent tree looks like it’s in a pond basket planted in a grow bed . The severed air layer looks like it’s in a raised grow bed . Is the bottom of the grow bed restricted so roots don’t continue into the ground . Do you for example lift the parent tree in the basket and trim escaped roots . And replant or what’s your system

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you explain your grow bed . The parent tree looks like it’s in a pond basket planted in a grow bed . The severed air layer looks like it’s in a raised grow bed . Is the bottom of the grow bed restricted so roots don’t continue into the ground . Do you for example lift the parent tree in the basket and trim escaped roots . And replant or what’s your system
Yes, the parent tree is in a pond basket in a raised grow bed. The beds are filled with PROMIX HP, it's a great soil medium. The trees have blown up in it. It's is pricey though. Growing in the pond basket allows me to pull the tree up easily for moving the tree or in the spring for rotation, with minimal disturbance to the interior roots. No, the bottom of the grow beds are not restricted. The point of growing in the ground for me, is maximum vigour. No, I don't trim the escaped roots, I just pull the basket up and rotate. The air layered tree wasn't planted in a basket, due to the fact that I was trying to be as gentle as possible. I'll put it in a pond basket in the spring. I may leave or remove the wooden slab, like I said, the main reason for installing the slab was to give the layer rigidity, not so much for lateral root growth, but I may leave it to see how it does.

Last edited:

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, the parent tree is in a pond basket in a raised grow bed. The beds are filled with PROMIX HP, it's a great soil medium. The trees have blown up in it. It's is pricey though. Growing in the pond basket allows me to pull the tree up easily for moving the tree or in the spring for rotation, with minimal disturbance to the interior roots. No, the bottom of the grow beds are not restricted. The point of growing in the ground for me, is maximum vigour. No, I don't trim the escaped roots, I just pull the basket up and rotate. The air layered tree wasn't planted in a basket, due to the fact that I was trying to be as gentle as possible. I'll put it in a pond basket in the spring. I may leave or remove the wooden slab, like I said, the main reason for installing the slab was to give the layer rigidity, not so much for lateral root growth, but I may leave it to see how it does.
Was interested in the grow bed . Trying to develop a system . And. Medium to use . So far the plan is to use patio pavers to make a square box . Reason is the 4 sides can be de constructed to make digging and root access easier . Still working on the compost even was looking at the permanent rubber mulch they sell as a drainage additive

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was interested in the grow bed . Trying to develop a system . And. Medium to use . So far the plan is to use patio pavers to make a square box . Reason is the 4 sides can be de constructed to make digging and root access easier . Still working on the compost even was looking at the permanent rubber mulch they sell as a drainage additive
The RONA here sells culled lumber for a reasonable price. I just bought 6, 2"x10"x4's today for $20. Which will make another 2'x8'x10" bed for next year. I just remove the grass at about 3" down and fill with soil. I wouldn't fret too much about your soil, just a standard triple mix from a garden center would work fine. Trunk thickening and primary branch structure is my primary goal for ground growing, with some yearly root work. Once this step is done then it will go into a grow box with a premium Bonsai soil for proper root and branch ramification.

Last edited:

sevan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't currently have a raised bed, but I like the look of these blocks for building one.

I'm not sure why these would be needed. Building a standard box using just would seems to work just fine.

sevan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Building a box is easy if you own tools and are comfortable using them. I would prefer not to build things if there is a reasonably priced alternative.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Building a box is easy if you own tools and are comfortable using them. I would prefer not to build things if there is a reasonably priced alternative.
My planned raised bed idea has more variables . Then just a eased bed . The plan is a square box 4 patio pavers which are available in several sizes as small as 16 inches square use dark colour stand on end . Stakes drove into the ground or 4 pieces of 2x4 around the outside hold them up . I believe a big part will be there raised small size dark colour will retain heat warming sooner and faster in spring and staying warmer in the fall a key variable in a cold climate . Your no tool idea I understand . I would advice most lumber supply stores like Home Depot it lowes have a large wall mounted saw . So a little pre planning and you can buy all your lumber pre cut then use your connectors or all you need is a hammer

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't currently have a raised bed, but I like the look of these blocks for building one.

I actually bought a bunch of those on sale less than 4 bucks a piece. Super quick box set up

Top Bottom