Amur Maple defoliation

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
Was given this Amur by one of my bonsai teachers. Defoliated it this morning. Should i remove the lil leaves too or what? also tell me what you think about it.
imagecio.jpg

By buffrider at 2011-07-10
imagefzr.jpg

By buffrider at 2011-07-10

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Weird. I've never seen Amur leaves that round....

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Weird. I've never seen Amur leaves that round....

I'm not familiar with Amur Maples as I'm from the west coast, but those leaves don't look like any maple I've ever seen. Aren't Maple leaves usually palmate and lobed?

Last edited:

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
images

And an Amur maple I saw at a bonsai show last year -- just for kicks ;)

Attachments

• amur2.JPG
    amur2.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Also, minus the bit of reverse taper above the base, it looks pretty decent. The nebari looks really nice, so that's a great start. You could always try to use a sacrifice branch, but I'm not sure how quickly Amur maples grow.

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
Well Those are the baby leaves. The mature leaves show that its a Amur. But I was thinking about scaring the trunk to help with the reverse taper.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You probably won't be able to correct the inverse taper by scarring, unless you take a BIG bite out of the trunk with a wood gouge or concave cutter. However, you'd also have some risk of dieback at the pruning site, as amur tend to do that, sometimes dramatically, at large wound sites, only to regrow over them agressively.

A better way might be to inarch graft or thread graft a longer limb above into the "necked" section of the lower trunk.

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Scars on Amurs tend to roll-over quickly but protrude a lot, at least that's what I've noticed on mine. As Rockm said, you'd have to take a drastic big bite. I've taken advantage of the scarring along the trunk by growing out thick sacrificial branches and pruning them back to the trunk to thicken certain areas by means of the scarring that then occurs. Unless you really hacked back the top of the tree to encourage low branching and kept your fingers crossed for something to pop from below that reverse taper, I'd take Rockm's suggestion.

Top Bottom