Amur Maple Forest

BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Recently acquired this amur maple forest and subsequently repotted it into this old tokoname. Curious if anyone has any recommendations for pinching emerging shoots on an amur and how the technique may differ, if at all, from standard japanese maple pinching practices.

Amur_Maple.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@MACH5 is the only one I know with one developed long enough to know.

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First thing to not do is compare it to a Japanese maple. This is a very different beast. I find they only heal cuts VERY slowly and oddly, I have seen some dieback. As such, I have taken to cutting back every sacrifice after max. 2 years. Rootpruning.. Does not do anything to them.

I have just defoliated my amur and removed the growing tips, after 2 leaves were visible. This will I find, reliably trigger the buds and get duplication of the number of growing times. I will wire the new growth that emerges and let the branches grow for most of the rest of the year. Cut back mid-to-late summer again.

20170225_1.jpg

Now
1587066785951.png

BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
First thing to not do is compare it to a Japanese maple. This is a very different beast. I find they only heal cuts VERY slowly and oddly, I have seen some dieback. As such, I have taken to cutting back every sacrifice after max. 2 years. Rootpruning.. Does not do anything to them.

I have just defoliated my amur and removed the growing tips, after 2 leaves were visible. This will I find, reliably trigger the buds and get duplication of the number of growing times. I will wire the new growth that emerges and let the branches grow for most of the rest of the year. Cut back mid-to-late summer again.

View attachment 296557

Now
View attachment 296556
Thank you, this is very helpful!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have just defoliated my amur and removed the growing tips, after 2 leaves were visible. This will I find, reliably trigger the buds
I am not sure that I understand what you are saying. I have an Amur that comes out yellow and presents flowers as the leaves green.

Are you saying that I should lop all of this off to make it back bud?

OR

Are you saying to cut back to two leaves, once there is something more than 2 leaves?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was sharing what I do. Not as a best practice. But just.. This is what I do, and what I feel like works for me.
Yes, Great, Thank you.
I am just asking you to clarify what you mean. I continue having trouble with back budding on my tree and I've never done what you may be saying is your practice. I've always waited until after flowering, and cut back hardened shoots to two leaves. Right now, mine has just greening and about to open flowers. You seem to be saying that you've just defoliated yours and nipped off the apical meristems.

So, I'm saying to myself, WOW, really? I think doing that right now that would just really weaken my tree (hence, my rationale for never having done this). So, I think I must be misreading/misinterpreting what you are telling us.

Right now, my tree's new leaves are hardening and greening. It is just beginning to present its flowers. What would I do to apply your method? I'm just confused. 😧

Top Bottom