Amur Maple next steps

TXyamadori

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would like some thoughts on next steps. I plan on leaving it in a container for the next few year. I've done some pruning and the leader has really bolted this spring. Should I allow that leader to continue growing or prune it back.

image.jpg image.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The basic dilemma is
  • if you like the shape of the trunk as it is, but just want it thicker as fast as possible, let it keep growing as it has OR
  • if you want the trunk to 'wander around' as it goes up (called 'movement'), you must chop it even though this means it won't thicken as rapidly.
And then, there is the matter of taper, which requires a lot of low branches that don't currently exist. You may get enough by chopping and subsequent hard prunings.

So, you must decide what trunk form (i.e., straight or curvy, thin or fat and tapering) you have in mind for this tree to be as a bonsai. Once you've decided, I think determining your course of action is straight forward.

A little bit of wire temprarily applied to new shoots gives you quite a bit of control over what direction each goes, though you can just let them go where ever they do and you subsequently pick and choose, clip and grow.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice starter tree, Amur maples are famous for being winter hardy and fast growing. Great where trident maples are not quite winter hardy.

Everything Osoyoung said is on the mark. I would add that you seem to have a knot of branches all coming out of the trunk at the same point. In time this will cause swelling and a zone of reverse taper. If it were my tree I would prune off all but 2, I would probably keep the smallest of the branches plus the tall leader to continue the thickening of the main trunk. Amur maples bud back well so hopefully new branches will appear more spread out over more of the trunk in places where you want them.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree with Leo, I have several amurs in my landscape. When I cut them back hard, they go insane putting new buds out all over the trunks. That would give you more options in a couple years.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Judy
Well if it where my tree (although I have no Amur); I would definitely cut the leader back. Its spiking and out of proportion with the rest of the tree. I feel pruning the leader will probably not effect growth of the trunk as there is plenty of foliage to support growth. In fact pruning back should double your foliage rather quickly. I would keep the tree compact, pruning for shape while allowing the trunk to grow. Just my 2 ✌

TXyamadori

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice starter tree, Amur maples are famous for being winter hardy and fast growing. Great where trident maples are not quite winter hardy.

Everything Osoyoung said is on the mark. I would add that you seem to have a knot of branches all coming out of the trunk at the same point. In time this will cause swelling and a zone of reverse taper. If it were my tree I would prune off all but 2, I would probably keep the smallest of the branches plus the tall leader to continue the thickening of the main trunk. Amur maples bud back well so hopefully new branches will appear more spread out over more of the trunk in places where you want them.

Leo,

I assume you are referring to the lower portion of the tree? I'll look at that to see what it will do to the upper structure. The cold is not my main concern as I'm in Texas, it leafed out in early March and is growing like crazy. I have a shade structure that I plan on moving under once we get into the upper 90's.

Thanks for the advice.

TXyamadori

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
image.jpgimage.jpg I removed 3 branches from last year. I wanted to get some feedback on the direction of the tree since last year.
Thanks!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are said to be quite resilient i n the root zone....

I'd only be focused on getting your nebari in order.
That front root.....should be brought up from straight down.....

I'd let the top go....looks like a future big chop may be in order.

Dope ass root spread!
Get that situated! Let it flare out your base!

Sorce

TXyamadori

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
These are said to be quite resilient i n the root zone....

I'd only be focused on getting your nebari in order.
That front root.....should be brought up from straight down.....

I'd let the top go....looks like a future big chop may be in order.

Dope ass root spread!
Get that situated! Let it flare out your base!

Sorce
I'm not sure exactly what you mean about that front root needing to be brought up?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one....should be brought to the surface.
aviary-image-1457218244780.jpeg

Sorce

Top Bottom