Amur Maple or Trident Maple?

IowaBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,

New to Bonsai, but have been a Bonsai appreciator for a while. I found this growing in my yard this spring and was only a few inches tall. Is this an Amur Maple or a Trident Maple? I'm pretty sure my neighbor has a Trident Maple Tree in his yard, so this could be from that, but there did used to be an Amur Maple in my yard previously. Not sure.

I accidentally left the pot on the ground and a rabbit came and ate all the leaves and chopped off the top... so I accidentally defoliated the tree.. leaves came back thankfully. I tried to wire the tree to get a new leader to grow upright, but left the wire on too long as seen by the marks on the trunk. I'm thinking I'll plant it in the ground in the spring to thicken up the trunk a bit. Thoughts?

New Maple Bonsai .jpg

sdavis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,

New to Bonsai, but have been a Bonsai appreciator for a while. I found this growing in my yard this spring and was only a few inches tall. Is this an Amur Maple or a Trident Maple? I'm pretty sure my neighbor has a Trident Maple Tree in his yard, so this could be from that, but there did used to be an Amur Maple in my yard previously. Not sure.

I accidentally left the pot on the ground and a rabbit came and ate all the leaves and chopped off the top... so I accidentally defoliated the tree.. leaves came back thankfully. I tried to wire the tree to get a new leader to grow upright, but left the wire on too long as seen by the marks on the trunk. I'm thinking I'll plant it in the ground in the spring to thicken up the trunk a bit. Thoughts?

View attachment 329699
I'd go with Amur.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This looks like Acer rubrum to my eye.
How big are those leaves?

IowaBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New question for everyone: My goal with this is to keep it a relatively small tree and I want to achieve leaves as small as possible. Is there a way to stop new growth from producing large leaves without defoliating?
I will probably defoliate every other year. Will new growth in the spring always produce large leaves?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New question for everyone: My goal with this is to keep it a relatively small tree and I want to achieve leaves as small as possible. Is there a way to stop new growth from producing large leaves without defoliating?
I will probably defoliate every other year. Will new growth in the spring always produce large leaves?
lots of ramification. small pot. Low N fertilizer

zanduh

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

If you are defoliating your Amur every other year the other thing you can be doing is making sure your Amur has full sun. They are very hardy trees and can take it.

IowaBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This looks like Acer rubrum to my eye.
How big are those leaves?
Coming back to this. Almost every picture I see of Amur leaves, there are no extra lobes at the bottom, at least not as pronounced as this. I honestly think this looks more like Acer Rubrum, yet everyone else thinks Amur?Still confused.
Amur:Rubrum.jpg

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Coming back to this. Almost every picture I see of Amur leaves, there are no extra lobes at the bottom, at least not as pronounced as this. I honestly think this looks more like Acer Rubrum, yet everyone else thinks Amur?Still confused.
View attachment 332268
I still stand by Rubrum. 110%.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Maples have a lot of personality, it comes out in the leaves. just like in JM, you'll find all different types of leaves within a species. I'm seeing this thread for the first time and I'm 98% certain that's ginnala. Here's a picture of an Amur (ginnala) leaf that looks just like yours.

Attachments

• Acer-tataricum-ssp.-ginnala---Amur-Maple-2-.JPG
    Acer-tataricum-ssp.-ginnala---Amur-Maple-2-.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 45

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you need more convincing google image search "acer rubrum leaf" I think that will end the debate pretty quickly

Top Bottom