Amur Maple pre-bonsai wanted

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I might be interested in passing along mine. Bought it several years ago from 99cc bonsai.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
this is when I got it in 2015 and put it in decent soil....long trunks have been cut back and it's planted in a large bonsai pot with akadama, pumice, lava combo
pot is like 2 ft by 1 ft?

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
as a fair word of warning...in my experience Amur can have die-back problems. But man, they are super cold hardy! I just leave mine out on the bench year round

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
this is when I got it in 2015 and put it in decent soil....long trunks have been cut back and it's planted in a large bonsai pot with akadama, pumice, lava combo
pot is like 2 ft by 1 ft?

Sorry for replying late, I was thinking about it, I'm finding myself very torn. It's a very nice tree, just a triple trunk isn't exactly what I had in mind, but it seems a waste to cut it down to one.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
probably could have kept all the trunks, but they were all about the same thickness and all straight as a board. so I ended up just making a sumo out of it. It's about 8 inches tall now. Letting multiple whips grow wild will give you either a clump or if you cut them back you have a fat trunk :)

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
my main hesitation is to ship trees. Don't know if it's worth the time to figure all that out, lol

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have an American hornbeam that is clump style, and I'm definitely not chopping that back. Going to keep it as the clump. But 2x same style didn't appeal to me. That one is not for sale though ;)

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All the box store carry them around me and HD has a75% sale in the first week of November. I got this for $10 at my local nursery clearance area
010FAE84-740D-49D5-BE1A-80A1D30146F1.jpeg75C68902-66EE-4CAD-BD7D-BE8C185ACA6E.jpeg

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks... I'll have to check some nurseries around here. I suspect they may not be widely sold as they are an invasive species here (cultivars aren't illegal, though).
In the meantime, I got two little ones from Meehan's Miniatures... kind of small for $25 trees though (however the Ficus benjamina "too little" I got was nicer than expected, so I guess it evens out).
2018-10-17.JPGoct 004.JPG

I'm holding out for a nicer one from Evergreen Gardenworks. I emailed them and was told the $35 ones were basically only good for landscaping, but they had some more prebonsai in the $100-300 range they would be listing soon. That was a month ago though and nothing. At this point, I'm thinking I should wait until spring to get anything, anyway.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks... I'll have to check some nurseries around here. I suspect they may not be widely sold as they are an invasive species here (cultivars aren't illegal, though).
In the meantime, I got two little ones from Meehan's Miniatures... kind of small for $25 trees though (however the Ficus benjamina "too little" I got was nicer than expected, so I guess it evens out).
View attachment 214203View attachment 214204

I'm holding out for a nicer one from Evergreen Gardenworks. I emailed them and was told the $35 ones were basically only good for landscaping, but they had some more prebonsai in the $100-300 range they would be listing soon. That was a month ago though and nothing. At this point, I'm thinking I should wait until spring to get anything, anyway.
Well broaden what species you can work with and take whatever you can get a good deal on!

Top Bottom