Amur Maple pre-bonsai wanted

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't seem to find these sold anywhere, except as seedlings. I have a Trident but I thought it would be nice to try some hardier maples as well.
Does anyone have these as pre-bonsai or basically anything larger than a seedling? I'd be willing to spend $100 or so (+ shipping), if the tree was nice enough.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have about 50 that I started from seed this spring that will be prebonsai in a few years ?. There seems to be a bit of a hole in the market for these, So I figured I would start a bunch from seed and sell some eventually. They’ll be planted in the ground next year. Good luck with your hunt.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I find them often in regular nurseries. Not seedlings, but more devoped garden shrubs.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Stickroot May have something? I bought a nice little tree from him awhile back and it’s coming along nicely.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Find One in a Park....
And steal it's babies!

I know of 3 places to get legit Amur's simply because they are "weeds".

Usually the weedwacked fenceline of the park where one is planted proves bountiful!

S

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It seems like good ones are really expensive! Unfortunately I can't really justify spending $400+ even though that is a nice tree. I also found a beautiful prebonsai one on Evergreen Gardenworks for $450.
Now I'm wondering if part of the expense is due to them being illegal in lots of places. In my searches, I found they are a restricted species in Wisconsin, although all cultivars are exempt from restriction. So I guess that also limits what trees I could get.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
3rd summer in the ground from a rooted cutting. I got 4ft of growth just this summer... This was the year of mad growth. I'll be ready to dig it this spring. And if your still looking by then @karen82 I should have a bunch.

Attachments

• IMG_20180902_174616.jpg
    IMG_20180902_174616.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 44

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3rd summer in the ground from a rooted cutting. I got 4ft of growth just this summer... This was the year of mad growth. I'll be ready to dig it this spring. And if your still looking by then @karen82 I should have a bunch.

I'm sure I will be interested then, too. I need more to work on - there's so much waiting when you just have a few pre bonsai.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
MeehansMiniatures.com (in Maryland) grows a lot of these, will ship and are real good folks. Just email if interested.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It seems like good ones are really expensive! Unfortunately I can't really justify spending $400+ even though that is a nice tree. I also found a beautiful prebonsai one on Evergreen Gardenworks for $450.
Now I'm wondering if part of the expense is due to them being illegal in lots of places. In my searches, I found they are a restricted species in Wisconsin, although all cultivars are exempt from restriction. So I guess that also limits what trees I could get.

I don't know how far north you are, but these guys have a growing ground a bit south of Rockford, IL. https://www.bcbonsai.com/
If you're willing to dig yourself you can get some fantastic amur maples and other things there at extremely good prices.

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MeehansMiniatures.com (in Maryland) grows a lot of these, will ship and are real good folks. Just email if interested.

Thank you, I don't see any on their site but I will try asking.

I saw that, but it's a little more than I wanted to spend, and not really what I was looking for... if I'm going to go over budget, I think I'd go for the $425 tree.

I don't know how far north you are, but these guys have a growing ground a bit south of Rockford, IL. https://www.bcbonsai.com/
If you're willing to dig yourself you can get some fantastic amur maples and other things there at extremely good prices.

That sounds really fun.. unfortunately it's a 4+ hr drive so I don't know if I can get to it this year.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I saw one on the Bonsai Auctions facebook page.

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saw one on the Bonsai Auctions facebook page.

I just saw this, thanks. I'd actually checked earlier today and there wasn't any. That tree worries me a little, even though it looks healthy, that trunk kind of looks a little rotten in some of the close ups.

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you everyone.
I liked the look of the one in the Facebook auction, I was just concerned that some of the deadwood looked like it could be pretty rotten.

I did hear back from Meehan's Miniatures, though. They have Amurs for sale, but they had somehow gotten turned off on their site... they fixed that now. 6" pots are the largest they have, though. I still might get one or two since the price is reasonable.

Top Bottom