Amur Maple question

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I will post a picture tomorrow as it is dark right now. My question is I would like to take my amur maple down to the lowest branch on the trunk and make that the leader. My vision for this tree us a shohin size tree. I did a pretty severe root reduction which was required, and it has leafed out pretty well so far from the spring push and is pushing some new growth over the last week or so. I would like to know if I can chop it down now because the root prune was severe from the start. It is in a pond basket and has about a 1 1/4 inch trunk. I would like to focus energy on the new leader to thicken it. Should I chop and seal or wait until next year and let it grow to recover the root system? All the research I have done on maple chops is very confusing. I was hoping to get some advice from all the gurus on here. I will post a pic tomorrow with my idea. Thanks for the help.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I will post a picture tomorrow as it is dark right now. My question is I would like to take my amur maple down to the lowest branch on the trunk and make that the leader. My vision for this tree us a shohin size tree. I did a pretty severe root reduction which was required, and it has leafed out pretty well so far from the spring push and is pushing some new growth over the last week or so. I would like to know if I can chop it down now because the root prune was severe from the start. It is in a pond basket and has about a 1 1/4 inch trunk. I would like to focus energy on the new leader to thicken it. Should I chop and seal or wait until next year and let it grow to recover the root system? All the research I have done on maple chops is very confusing. I was hoping to get some advice from all the gurus on here. I will post a pic tomorrow with my idea. Thanks for the help.
Based on your description i would wait and let it recover this season. A stronger tree will respond better to a trunk chop.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would not do the trunk chop now. However, I don’t think you necessarily have to wait until next year either. Let it grow for now. If it’s been growing well all summer, then I’d go ahead with the trunk chop in August or early September. Then leave it alone until spring.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I Think it was Amur @wireme stubbed down.
And @MACH5 may have chopped an Amur.

I think a chop after leaf fall is safest, and best for new leader development. As the tree will have its conversation with the roots in spring...and focus energy into existing buds, makimg them larger branches, which means faster healing.

Or mid summer '19 if you need lower buds.
Since mid stride removal will CREATE a conversation that says...."emergency, more growth anywhere possible!"

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here is the picture. I was thinking of chopping to the red line. That would give a little room for dieback. I am in no hurry to chop if waiting is what is best for the tree. IMG_4283.jpeg
This is my other Amur Maple just for show. This one seems to have grown a lot more than the above one so far.
IMG_4284.jpeg
All advice welcome. Thanks.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Yeah, I would wait. I did a trunk chop on a amur a couple weeks ago and its not pushing any new growth yet. It was one I did root work on earlier, I should have waited. I only hope I didn't kill it.

Top Bottom