Amur Maple

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another thread on an Amur was updated due to it's "completion" so I thought I'd start a new one on a different project. Picked up about 2 years ago and put in an Anderson flat, this is what's been going on with it this year. The secondary branching is coming along but ugly atm, will probably all be cut back to the first or second node in the spring.

Attachments

• 2011-03-10.jpg
    2011-03-10.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 4-10-11.jpg
    4-10-11.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 5-31-11 Amur maple.jpg
    5-31-11 Amur maple.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 180

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Previous post had shots from March, April, and May of this year, here's a couple from July and today.

Attachments

• 7-19-11 Amur.jpg
    7-19-11 Amur.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 10-6-11.jpg
    10-6-11.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 10-6-11a.jpg
    10-6-11a.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 104

Fidel1

Seed
Reaction score
We planted an Amur Maple last year. It's 5-6 feet high. We have clay soil so we added compost to the hole with the original soil.
As time went on, the leaves started to turn yellow, then brown and crispy. This happened long before fall.
Someone suggested iron chlorosis, and that I should give it iron chelate.
If I give the tree the iron, and it doesn't have chlorosis, will I do it further harm? Should I wait to see what happens in the spring before I add anything? Could it have just been shocked after being taken out of a pot that it had been in for so long? I really like the leaves and the fall color of this type of tree, so I don't want it to die because of my lack of knowledge and TLC.
Any suggestion?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
First what zone are you in? How long before fall did they turn?In my experience{which is limited} my Amur maples lose there leaves way before any other maples i have so depending on the time this happened this could be nomal

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
for one Iron is a micronutrient that the tree only needs in small amounts..... however a little iron chelate won't hurt anything ....

now.... I doubt that is actually your issue.... you may have damaged the tree by amending the soil you planted it in.... many people make the mistake of thinking that they somehow need to add fertilizer to the soil they use for trees..... honestly newly planted landscape trees should not be fertilized for some time after being planted as their roots are usually not actively growing and you can do more damage than good.... its possible that this may have caused a problem....

Top Bottom