Amur seedling transplant help/questions

• Thread starter Deleted member 43661
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 43661

So I just found a few Amur seedlings in my front yard. Could anyone tell me when would be the best time to pluck seedlings such as these? Mine are on the north side of my home and get almost no direct sunlight. I want to place them in another location and maybe put one in a pot. What would you do? I want these seedlings to be bonsai down the road, but first I want them out of my front yard landscaping and in more direct sun. Today is Nov. 13 so I imagine moving them this late in the season would be too late. Should I start this process in the spring before or after they begin to bud?

Thanks all

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Assume from the details that you are somewhere in Northern hemisphere but that's a big place and times and techniques vary depending on local climate.
There's a space in the personal profile for a location which does help others to give better advice.

In general Amur transplant very easily. The usual time is spring before leaves open or even a little later as the leaves open is usually still OK. If the ground doesn't freeze any time from mid winter should be OK

D

Deleted member 43661

Assume from the details that you are somewhere in Northern hemisphere but that's a big place and times and techniques vary depending on local climate.
There's a space in the personal profile for a location which does help others to give better advice.

In general Amur transplant very easily. The usual time is spring before leaves open or even a little later as the leaves open is usually still OK. If the ground doesn't freeze any time from mid winter should be OK
I will be sure to update my profile. For what it’s worth im just outside of St. Louis MO.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I will be sure to update my profile. For what it’s worth im just outside of St. Louis MO.
I grew about 90-100 of these this year... I have it selected down, by strength/leaf color/leaf size/ internode length to about 25! (Amurs have a higher "desirable rate") They are my favorite Maple, so far.

If I was in St. Louis.... And could guarantee protection from HARD freeze, I'd dig now...

If "doubtful", I'd wait for Spring... Summer.. earlier NEXT fall...they don't REALLY care. (As Sorce, and Shibui stated)

YOUNG or "-ling" Acer, tend to be NOTORIOUSLY tough and adapt well...

Amurs, are the second toughest Acer I've come across.... The first being Negundo... Those jerks!

🤣

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seedlings of this sort are very forgiving and can be transplanted nearly any time if protected according to the vagarities of the season.
But if they can wait, just before bud break or even summer is better than now.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If they're still seedlings any time during spring or early summer should work but keep the pots in shade for a week or to so the roots can get re-established

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I collected a ton in June in full leaf, all waking up strong this spring

Top Bottom