Amurs on a Rock

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
Here is my humble attempt to get a little Amur Maple grove growing on a rock. If it doesnt work, well, it's not like amur maple is a precious resource.

The rock:
1673019124849.png

I then did my best to cloak the rock in wet sphagnum moss, maybe an inch or so in depth, as a substrate for the young maples. I then sheaved with saran warp, put into a cut-down 5 gal pot, where I first put a layer of nice soil (not dirt! soil!), the stone, and then more soil. I then did my best to ensure no air pockets.

So I got something like this (the contrast between the moss and Amur bark is poor, but there's 9 of the little guys in total):

1673019177686.png

This will then be put into a nice spot in the yard, so the roots can escape into the earth. Once they settle into their strange new home, I'll wire the trunks a bit, and probably adjust their exact position. I'd like to get some fusion of the roots going down the rock, could look quite nice in a decade or two.

"Why did you circumsice the pot?" No idea. Tradition, I guess. I'll also have to see if birds or vermin will try to get at the moss, or the saplings.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is multiple ways to proceed with Root over rock plantings . And much room for experiment . Your planting has good ideas . I’m a little unsure of your goals . Do you want Root over rock . Ie roots wrapped around rock . Or do you want a grove on top of a rock . Or combo . Sone general thoughts are . Pre prepping the rock bottom . Ie grinding cutting a flat spot so it sits nicely in a pot eventually is often overlooked . There is a balance in these plantings . That must be addressed . In order to successfully get roots to cling to a rock and trunks to fuse or grow together closely . They must be held tightly in place . Or they will not . They will just grow away from each other or roots will just grow into soil that is easier . Plus the end result composition. Will display the roots as a major component . This necessarily requires more root manipulation . Especially early in the growth cycle . Meaning more frequent repots . Otherwise your wasting to much time . Once you get the roots to cling to the rock or grow where you want . Ie fuse . Then you can gain from more aggressive growing . In the past my attempts at this . Best results were attained in a large pot . With roots tightly held to the rock . In regular bonsai soil . With frequent repots . As the repots progress . You disturb the roots less and lengthen the repots . To allow active gains . In ground of course can help . Especially once the roots are established . Hope this helps good luck . Roots over rock is the bomb . When you start with young material . It takes longer to grow bonsai but to many don’t take advantage . Of the fact that you have complete control. Therefor styles like this are attainable . That are not any other way . Largest problem I have found is finding good Rocks . And or enough .

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cool! Can't wait to see what happens!

Just a note: in soil/substrate like that, root growth is slow.. so it will take a good long while to grow enough root-structure BELOW the rock... To expose the rock.

Take it reeeal... REEEAL slow.

🤓

Top Bottom