An amazing bunjin BRT...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
For sale at Wigert's Bonsai Nursery...sadly it's to large for my grow cart. Even if I laid it on its side...the lower shelf isn't as tall...and reaches a height of 10 1/2"...the width of this is 11 1/2 so even on its side...it's a no go.

But would love to see someone grab it from here so I can watch its progress. Stunning...and I wish I had a shrink ray to make it fit. I don't wish to get another light source for it...and clutter up my sunroom. So...sharing.
image.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Where is this listed? I don't see it on their site.

I know I will break your heart when I say this, but I feel the trunk is too heavy for a bunjin, and it has bad reverse taper, at least from the angle in the picture. I guess each person looks at a tree a little differently. The bark is amazing, that's for sure.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Where is this listed? I don't see it on their site.

I know I will break your heart when I say this, but I feel the trunk is too heavy for a bunjin, and it has bad reverse taper, at least from the angle in the picture. I guess each person looks at a tree a little differently. The bark is amazing, that's for sure.

She posted it on their Facebook wall. The turns sometimes give the illusion of reverse taper. But, honestly I think it's so cool it didn't bother me. I think it has tons of character...and is quirky. She called it Bunjin. I just see a cool tree and also thought it a bit heavy for that style. But.. Didn't mind with the powerful image it has. In my eyes the flaws don't bother me. The character is powerful.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
She posted it on their Facebook wall. The turns sometimes give the illusion of reverse taper. But, honestly I think it's so cool it didn't bother me. I think it has tons of character...and is quirky. She called it Bunjin. I just see a cool tree and also thought it a bit heavy for that style. But.. Didn't mind with the powerful image it has. In my eyes the flaws don't bother me. The character is powerful.

Holy smokes! The one they have listed two down...

Though I think the deadwood needs to be reduced...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Totally agree about the deadwood. It's a very masculine tree. Cool but, to masculine for my taste. I prefer the top...even with a possible reverse taper. But can admire the one you shared below it.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Totally agree about the deadwood. It's a very masculine tree. Cool but, to masculine for my taste. I prefer the top...even with a possible reverse taper. But can admire the one you shared below it.

I just think when you have super thick deadwood like that, it messes with the scale of the design. It makes the tree look smaller.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you want honest I think BOTH of them s*#k - at least if you want to have a BRT that looks like one anytime in the future. Unusual yes, to me not worth more then 20.00 USD being they both need 10 - 15 years to develop...

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you want honest I think BOTH of them s*#k - at least if you want to have a BRT that looks like one anytime in the future. Unusual yes, to me not worth more then 20.00 USD being they both need 10 - 15 years to develop...

Grimmy
Allow the leaves to grow back I think the compound leaf would fill in the area needing developed. But...alas...it won't fit on my grow cart shelf. But they are cold hardier than some tropicals. That said.,,I'd I found the right one...it could fit on that lower shelf and I wouldn't have an issue with it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
when you have super thick deadwood like that, it messes with the scale of the design. It makes the tree look smaller.

Sure does...uros too.

"What was here"

needs to fit MORE PERFECTLY into the scale of the design lest the hand of man is shown.

However...does the first one really have reverse taper besides the knob at the top left?
Seems to be flattened out, as they do, which would be acceptable IMO.
Knob gone...orange fingernails and ugly pot gone...

I could dig it.

These don't make me Crave a BRT like Lance's or others'.

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would love a BRT...but wonder if they can work at such a small scaled tree I would need. I am thinking semi-cascade might have to be my line of action. With having such a low bottom shelf. Seen one on eBay...let it go. The photos weren't the greatest. And it had flaws that bugged me.

timeleft

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been wanting a brt may have to see how much one of these would be.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would love a BRT...but wonder if they can work at such a small scaled tree I would need. I am thinking semi-cascade might have to be my line of action. With having such a low bottom shelf. Seen one on eBay...let it go. The photos weren't the greatest. And it had flaws that bugged me.

I'll keep an eye out for you down here :) What size ideally are you looking for under 10 inches in height?

Here is one similar also a Wigert's tree from a while ago:

brazilian_rain_tree-1.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'll keep an eye out for you down here :) What size ideally are you looking for under 10 inches in height?

Here is one similar also a Wigert's tree from a while ago:

brazilian_rain_tree-1.jpg

Ideally...yes, under 10"... But...it doesn't have to be tropical. I'm concerned with keeping a compound leaf BRT small. Is it even possible? But something cold hardy to 40's...for the off chance we find ourselves in a hiccup with no power in the winter. Of course didn't help we snuggled under covers wishing to deal with it in the morning...when our faulty regulator allowed moisture into our propane tanks...and they froze! During the arctic spell we had a few years back...

Much appreciate your offer of keeping an eye open for me. Thanks!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Grimmy
Who says it must look like a BRT?

Most azalea bonsai don't look anything like the way azalea naturally grow.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ideally...yes, under 10"... But...it doesn't have to be tropical. I'm concerned with keeping a compound leaf BRT small. Is it even possible? But something cold hardy to 40's...for the off chance we find ourselves in a hiccup with no power in the winter. Of course didn't help we snuggled under covers wishing to deal with it in the morning...when our faulty regulator allowed moisture into our propane tanks...and they froze! During the arctic spell we had a few years back...

Much appreciate your offer of keeping an eye open for me. Thanks!

You're welcome! Ahh that is annoying. It reminds me of a snowboarding trip I took once was in the mountains for 3 weeks with no plumbing or electricity. That was voluntary though and a whole lot of fun!!!! Snowboarding is my other passion....sad I live in FL now

I see them kept fairly small here and I mean developed trees not starters. It does take a lot of work though to keep them that small. Most let the tree go to a bigger size and give up LOL

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Who says it must look like a BRT?

I still think they both s*$k as starter stock, I tossed 26 test plants from last year that were far better. I had little invested but needed to know the bacterial problems were indeed solved.
Hell, I have 26 tiny starters of a wide variety here that each look far better concerning potential right now.

Grimmy

Top Bottom