An amazing quince at Gregory Beach Bonsai...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I love wacky roots...just don't trust my horticultural abilities to spend this much yet on a tree. But...man is it amazing! If I trusted myself...this so would be mine.
http://www.gregorybeachbonsai.com/4.html

Edit: do all quince generally take the same care?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 150

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
. . . Edit: do all quince generally take the same care?

No. Some varieties are very weak, while others are very strong. Some sucker from the base more than others. Light requirements vary widely, but generally the rounder the leaf, the more sun it can take.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I love wacky roots...just don't trust my horticultural abilities to spend this much yet on a tree. But...man is it amazing! If I trusted myself...this so would be mine.

Spring Peeper not included. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9093.jpg
    IMG_9093.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_9094.jpg
    IMG_9094.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_9095.jpg
    IMG_9095.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_9096.jpg
    IMG_9096.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9103.jpg
    IMG_9103.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 103

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Don, the pot looks to me that it may have been made by michael hagedorn. Those two colors were his signature.

Here in rainy/cloudy olde Seattle, I found over the years that quince could stand more sun than mother nature gave most of the time. Especially my Chojubai. But still during the clearest
3 months, july, august, september, I kept an eye on them pretty close so they didn't dry out.
I tend to pot up my quince in deeper pots to ensure moisture retention.

darlene, quince are surprisingly hardy and resilent. The only ones I've had troubles with is the younger smaller red chojubai. Toyo Nishiki, pretty hard to kill, tho I admitt I have accomplished
it. Thanks for posting.....

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

FYI the chojubai are pretty easy to care for imho, especially if you like to water.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
FYI the chojubai are pretty easy to care for imho, especially if you like to water.

I really am looking for trees that are drought tolerant...or, can withstand a shallow tray of water under them like my wisteria. I've not researched quince much other than zone friendliness.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I really am looking for trees that are drought tolerant...or, can withstand a shallow tray of water under them like my wisteria. I've not researched quince much other than zone friendliness.

It needs a lot of water if fruit is left on. If I were you I'd get it in a deeper pot with a more retentive mix. This should avoid it drying out too easily. I have only left 1 fruit on mine when it is in a pot, mainly as a novelty. Quince are fairly easy to grow but unless you get a twiggy chojubai the other cultivars are quite hard to develop a decent branch structure.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It needs a lot of water if fruit is left on. If I were you I'd get it in a deeper pot with a more retentive mix. This should avoid it drying out too easily. I have only left 1 fruit on mine when it is in a pot, mainly as a novelty. Quince are fairly easy to grow but unless you get a twiggy chojubai the other cultivars are quite hard to develop a decent branch structure.

I'm not sure I trust my horticultural ability with this...but do love the looks of it.

Top Bottom