An effort to first define "Display".

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are in a no win situation. Any answer you give will not look good. Call it whatever you want but you work to get better and by that measure you seek enlightenment and that is not the quality of a person only wishing to do bonsai in your backyard.

My circle of personal bonsai freinds is quite large.I do not know many like you. That is a compliment.:D I think I know you more than you think I do.:p

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If we are talking about bonsai competitions at any rate you are absolutely right, for the moment. I've competed at other sports and activites many times. I have a perverse habit of getting into male dominated activities... all of which are highly competitive on so many levels. I generally have only one person to beat... and that is my self expectations. Mine tend to be pretty high, or it isn't worth doing... I don't like to waste my time.

Acknowledgement of peers is always nice... but no matter how the thing ranks out, I spend days pouring over how I might have done it better... because I expect the best of myself... so it's an inward measure.

I'm sure we are both of a mind, we just look at it from different views. For you to be recognized as the best is a goal... for me being satisfied with my performance is often harder than attaining any outter acknowledgement. It's all about motivations... and no one has ever been as critical of me as me. :p

I erred in making any inference that my view was better than your own... I was making more a general statement than anything about my opinion of this nonsense of having to put a pin on who's the BEST. (reference recent dicussion about Kimura) Sorry if I made any offense. That was not my intention.

And as to Daniel... what makes you think I don't? lol... I put up with a lot of hell for doing my own thing on a regular basis... and the fact that I change the trees to reflect what I find lovely, even beyond his vision. His respect is such that he lets it happen... and does not change it... because though he gives me grief, he gives me liscence to do what I want.

That is trust... ;)

V

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You are in a no win situation. Any answer you give will not look good. Call it whatever you want but you work to get better and by that measure you seek enlightenment and that is not the quality of a person only wishing to do bonsai in your backyard.

My circle of personal bonsai freinds is quite large.I do not know many like you. That is a compliment.:D I think I know you more than you think I do.:p

I take that as the compliment that it is... and thank you dearly for it.

Here's the truth in a nutshell... I do work towards a high level of excellence, because when it's all said and done, I would like to have made a difference in this art. Having the results of that effort be a pleasure to others is always fun... but I would do it, even if no one said a thing. Because what I experiance at my core when I come in contact with trees... or anything related to bonsai - scrolls, suiseki, netsuke, stands, kusamono, yahda yahda... is just such unadulterated joy... that it would be enough... all by itself.

And I have no doubts that you know me quite well... you've watched me evolve from the start - even before Daniel. :rolleyes: Poor thing.......... lol

In this case... I don't mind losing a bit. And totally understand your point.

*MUAH*:D

V

Last edited:
Top Bottom