An Elm type and grass growing in NM

DBPooper

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, not that kind of "grass"... Lawn turf grass. We'll see. No pics because it's just moist topsoil at the moment.

The Elm?.. It was growing out of the foundation at a corner of the house. It had to be dug out for the grass seeded area and for other movings around. Wrong time and don't have a positive outlook for survival. No worries. Had to be done.

While tilling up a section out from the Elm's Corner I found roots. 2 root cuttings.

It has lost all leaves and no current pic. Couldn't get many roots either. I will post one I have later, for proper identification.

Not such a good time for the grass seed either but...

Any other New Mexico folks with elm (or even grass) growing knowledge?

And if you're into moist soil pics...get help.😉

But I may post a pic after some growth...

...That's what she said.

Boosh!🕺

DBPooper

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Before the dig out/rip out.
20200715_181532.jpg
What folks call elm here.
Found a small one growing in a pot with a mandevillia too. Same leaf shape and pattern.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Most likely ulmus pumila, Siberian Elm. They are present throughout the Rocky Mountain region and throughout the southwest, in some cases being almost invasive. Hopefully you cut it back when you moved it. If so, it should respond well as these are "tough to kill"

DBPooper

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I figured and was hoping for Siberian Elm.

There wasn't much for feeder roots. A few long roots and they went under the house and a small concrete slab I removed later.

I cut it back the day after extraction. Leaves had already dried. Scratch test revealed green under bark.

We shall see.

Thanks.

DBPooper

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We'll see...
The little one with the mandevillia I will take out and pot soon. Also found another in with a palm.

Not much else happening at the moment. Tending the lawn and watching grass grow.

Letting everything else (which isn't much (the start over)) grow.

Top Bottom