An idea for a new forum section. Air layer Acer Palmatum-Mikawa Yatsubusa

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All,
What do you think of having another section for 'proven' methods. I am thinking of something in the line of air layer, root cutting and grafting compatibility. An example I have that I will post under this forum would he - Air layer Acer Palmatum-Mikawa Yatsubusa. What I want in this thread will only be fact/proven such as failed attempt or success. I don't want parroting in this thread as that is not proven. It is ok to not have any reply as that would mean this cultivar is not air layer-able. Photos with your post would be nice as that will validate your claim.
So for this thread, please feel free to comment since I want to hear your respond on the new forum section.

Here is the tree am thinking of air layer. It is just started to budding out so I still have plenty of time.

ThanksIMG_20190330_085046_BURST002.jpgIMG_20190330_085035_BURST001_COVER.jpgIMG_20190330_085008.jpg

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is already a section called Grafting, Layering and Propagating, and a section called Advanced Topics.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe advanced topic will do but what I really want in the thread is something someone has done it. I don't want another of I have read or I have heard that it is possible.... To me that is just as bad as saying I don't know since I have never done it.
Thanks for your feedback.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe advanced topic will do but what I really want in the thread is something someone has done it. I don't want another of I have read or I have heard that it is possible.... To me that is just as bad as saying I don't know since I have never done it.
Thanks for your feedback.

Here is a new twist. Why don't you get to work in your backyard for a few years and successfully do what ever it is you are trying to do. Don't forget to take the pictures along the way. Lucky for me I have always taken pictures of my trees so I have a great archive to work with. Then write a tutorial on what you did right and wrong. Post it to Articles and Tutorials, you will be the man and will have contributed to this forum by giving back. Be an innovator, step out of the box and do some work, fail or success.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'll probably do more grafting and airlayering in a year. I like to provide folks with what they are looking for. Been trying peaches and more ume. I'll surely do some M. Yatsubusa and other popular cultivars.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Check out these threads "The Science of Air Layering " and "Radialdisc a Season Saver". I haven't really looked at these but I hear they are great. Lol:p

SgtPilko

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey namnhi, did you have any success with your Mikawa airlayer or document elsewhere? I read in some other threads these slightly 'unique' guys will airlayer. Got one of my own with a terrible graft to hopefully do next year.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey namnhi, did you have any success with your Mikawa airlayer or document elsewhere? I read in some other threads these slightly 'unique' guys will airlayer. Got one of my own with a terrible graft to hopefully do next year.
I haven't try. No airlayer for me this year. Will do it next year.

Top Bottom