An Odd Question....

Duhend

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Well I'm not sure if this is off topic, but it certainly has to do with bonsai at least how I'm looking at it.

Due to a very sudden issue with a family member I find that I will be at a funeral at the end of the week. As these things usually do, they get one to thinking about how they would want to be taken care of when the time comes. I decided long ago that I would be cremated, I don't see the point of casket in a concrete vault deep in the ground holding my leavings. I also know that Green burials" are becoming more common but I still don't see any point. I think that we take so much during our lives that I want to give back.

So along those lines, I'm sure some one somewhere on this forum may have asked this question, but I'd like my ashes to be used as something useful. So I ask can my ashes be used as a fertilizer for my bonsai? No embalming or course. I've looked around the internet and their are those that say yes and no. I'd like to think if I could give back to my plants that are teaching me so much about patience and relax me when I work on them, that I should.

Also I think in a way whoever gets the plant after me would get some of me as well. When they work on the plant I would be there with them. Course their is the ever present idea of them killing the plant. I mentioned the idea of giving the plants to friends and family to a friend once, and then got the mental image of her being heart broken for "killing me again". This poor girl couldn't figure out why all her plants died after she moved out, I of course told her that I had been watering and rotating them. So maybe she wouldn't get a plant...lol

So yes or no what do you think? Would you like the same if it is possible?

I'm still torn between this idea and the one where they mix your ashes and concrete to make artificial reefs. My girlfriend loves to make fun of me about that one. She thinks its silly since I've never even been to the ocean....

My my that was longer than expected!

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I don't think there will be many useful nutrients left once you're cremated. Someone could still mix your ashes into some bonsai soil, but any significant amount might start to hamper drainage.

Not a romantic answer, I know, but just my 2 cents on the practicality of your idea...

Maybe they could be worked into some clay and made into a nice custom bonsai pot?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm no expert, but I don't think there will be many useful nutrients left once you're cremated. Someone could still mix your ashes into some bonsai soil, but any significant amount might start to hamper drainage.

Not a romantic answer, I know, but just my 2 cents on the practicality of your idea...

Maybe they could be worked into some clay and made into a nice custom bonsai pot?

Now there's an idea!

Duhend

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B

I was thinking the pot idea would be a good one. Then I thought about all the used and antique pots floating around out there. Do you know who your bonsai is potted in?

No worries about the pragmatism of the answer, I like to the point. I hadn't thought of the pot until after I'd posted though, good one.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was thinking the pot idea would be a good one. Then I thought about all the used and antique pots floating around out there. Do you know who your bonsai is potted in?

No worries about the pragmatism of the answer, I like to the point. I hadn't thought of the pot until after I'd posted though, good one.

Many years ago. I heard that there were 2 different process' available for people after death if they choose. One, was to have your DNA put into a baby tree. Then, you sort of live on through the tree as it grows. The next one was they can make you into a diamond or something. I guess they take your ashes and create a sort of diamond. Now, I think I heard this about 15 years ago on the radio. I don't know any details about this. Also, I never checked it out to actually verify it to be true.

Rob

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Well I'm not sure if this is off topic, but it certainly has to do with bonsai at least how I'm looking at it.

Due to a very sudden issue with a family member I find that I will be at a funeral at the end of the week. As these things usually do, they get one to thinking about how they would want to be taken care of when the time comes. I decided long ago that I would be cremated, I don't see the point of casket in a concrete vault deep in the ground holding my leavings. I also know that Green burials" are becoming more common but I still don't see any point. I think that we take so much during our lives that I want to give back.

So along those lines, I'm sure some one somewhere on this forum may have asked this question, but I'd like my ashes to be used as something useful. So I ask can my ashes be used as a fertilizer for my bonsai? No embalming or course. I've looked around the internet and their are those that say yes and no. I'd like to think if I could give back to my plants that are teaching me so much about patience and relax me when I work on them, that I should.

Also I think in a way whoever gets the plant after me would get some of me as well. When they work on the plant I would be there with them. Course their is the ever present idea of them killing the plant. I mentioned the idea of giving the plants to friends and family to a friend once, and then got the mental image of her being heart broken for "killing me again". This poor girl couldn't figure out why all her plants died after she moved out, I of course told her that I had been watering and rotating them. So maybe she wouldn't get a plant...lol

So yes or no what do you think? Would you like the same if it is possible?

I'm still torn between this idea and the one where they mix your ashes and concrete to make artificial reefs. My girlfriend loves to make fun of me about that one. She thinks its silly since I've never even been to the ocean....

My my that was longer than expected!

Would it be possible, probably yes but whether it would be legal is another issue. Whether or not neighbors, friends and relatives would be grossed out about it is another issue. Personally and this is just my opinion, what happens you your remains should be the choice of your family, they are the ones that will have to deal with the consequences of it all and the grief and the loss as well. Don't give them some off the wall greenie choice that is sure to create a great deal of turmoil.

When my father died he requested that his ashes be cast into the snake river outside of Boise Idaho where he grew up. I told him I would take care of that request and it took me almost fifteen years to do so but I got it done.

Duhend

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Many years ago. I heard that there were 2 different process' available for people after death if they choose. One, was to have your DNA put into a baby tree. Then, you sort of live on through the tree as it grows. The next one was they can make you into a diamond or something. I guess they take your ashes and create a sort of diamond. Now, I think I heard this about 15 years ago on the radio. I don't know any details about this. Also, I never checked it out to actually verify it to be true.

Rob
I had heard of the diamond as well before, but never the DNA one, that is very interesting.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Would it be possible, probably yes but whether it would be legal is another issue. Whether or not neighbors, friends and relatives would be grossed out about it is another issue. Personally and this is just my opinion, what happens you your remains should be the choice of your family, they are the ones that will have to deal with the consequences of it all and the grief and the loss as well. Don't give them some off the wall greenie choice that is sure to create a great deal of turmoil.

When my father died he requested that his ashes be cast into the snake river outside of Boise Idaho where he grew up. I told him I would take care of that request and it took me almost fifteen years to do so but I got it done.

Wow Vance. This speaks a lot of your character. It shows loyalty, dedication, honesty and love. No wonder your can create beautiful bonsai from the most humble beginnings. This just demonstrates determination and patience far beyond what we normally see in people.

Rob

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Wow Vance. This speaks a lot of your character. It shows loyalty, dedication, honesty and love. No wonder your can create beautiful bonsai from the most humble beginnings. This just demonstrates determination and patience far beyond what we normally see in people.

Rob

Wow yourself! I don't think my mother every said anything that nice about me thank you very much.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I for one sure hope this idea does not catch on, during most sessions with my nplants I wind up with the soil all over me and sometimes in my mouth. It would really gross me out thinking someone's ashes were in that soil. Hopefully they would label the " Cremains free " Bonsai so one could be sure what they were digging in, or who .....

ed

Duhend

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I was doing some digging and I guess there is a company that does make potting soil with cremated remains in it. They seemed to want to market it to cities or other groups. Which I find odd, I wouldn't want my remains be all willy nilly stuck somewhere in a park.

Perhaps I will stick with the reef idea. My aunt opted for a rocket, so I'm not sure what will happen there. As far as dictating where my remains go, I'm far to much of a planner to let that be.

Top Bottom